Valve actuator plumbing for solar - something looks wrong

Oct 2, 2014
San Marcos, Ca
I just bought a house with a 13k pool and a rooftop solar system. I have been trying to dial in the solar and have been going through the plumbing configuration. Something seems off.

I had an Intellifo VS installed to replace the single speed pump that was there. There is a Goldline solar controller which will be replaced by the SolarTouch in the next few weeks.

In this pic, the solar controller is off. When the solar is on, the curved side of the handle is to the right.

When the solar turns on, the actuator turns and diverts the water to the solar - I assume this turns 3 off and opens 1 and 2.

But when the solar is off, 2 must be off and 1 and 3 open, right? If so, what is stopping the water from flowing to the solar panels?

Is this the right set up?

Pool.jpg

Normally the solar valve is between the filter and solar supply not the return so it is backwards but it still should work ok. Is there a check valve between the solar supply and the filter?

The only problem with the setup is that the panels will still fill when the solar valve is off. In very hot climates this can be an issue because the water will get very hot and could possibly soften the PVC.

If it hasn't caused a problem to date, I would worry too much about it. But looking at the layout, it doesn't look like it would be too hard to change either and you could salvage the valve so it is up to you.

Replumbed it. Water to solar comes straight from the actuator and water coming back goes to the pool. I put a check valve in the solar return so water doesn't go backwards. I also put an inline thermometer in the solar return so I can maximize heat gain. Much better!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.