winter maintenance advice

Hello all,

I am hiring a pool company to provide winter maintenance. I have a blocking cover. What is the best interval? Once a month? twice a month? thanks so much for the help.

Todd

Winter maintenance? If you let us know your location (and/or add it to your profile), that would provide some context. If you're in a zone that freezes for an extended period, there should no maintenance from the time the pool drops below 60 and the cover is on (lines blown out, antifreeze, etc.). If you're in a zone that doesn't freeze or freezes very seldom it's basically the same other than you can have the pump run when there may be a chance of freezing and perhaps check FC level monthly and dose if needed.

The best interval is none unless you're leaving it unattended and want someone checking on it.

Maintenance ?? wow - wasn't aware of such a thing. We closed ours down and it will sit, Unmaintained, until Apr/May ...

Am I missing something ?

My understanding (I may be mistaken) is it keeps the chemical balance such that the plaster doesn't get damaged, and also prevents algae, etc. SOme people have reported "green pool" on opening and need severe shocks and treatments. Winter maintenance I believe makes it a "sparkling blue" opening. Or maybe I'm flushing my money.lol. Seriously, Could an experienced expert please help the two of us with some advice please? thanks.

Todd

Hmmmm, sounds like another revenue builder for the pool stores.

Hey here, let me charge you X dollars a month to come out and check your pool to make sure i didnt screw up and close your pool right. Oh its 35 degrees F. out, but the good news is you dont have any algae growing.
Here, let me throw this bag of shock in just to be sure, you can thank me when you send in your payment......

One question that remains unanswered is your location. In many parts of the country pools remain open all winter long. While others the snow and ice make it impossible for any work to be done to the water. Location is key to this question.

If in Philadelphia, which would consistently get a pretty hard freeze for extended periods, you really need to close the pool completely. Water level should be lowered appropriately below skimmers at least, lines and equipment fully blown out and anti-freeze into lines. The pool should not have to be touched once covered until water temp gets near 60 in spring as long as it is closed with adequate chlorine levels, temperature below 60 and optional algaecide added. I'd say save your money and go with the zero times per month plan.

A relevant thread for me to update.

I am in Philadelphia and, based on a previous thread I started on TFP, went with a late closing early opening solution and dumped winter professional maintenance.

I closed in mid October, with the pool fc at shock level.

I opened last week to fc of 0, ph 8 and ta 100. And bathtub ring scaling. And algae. I have a mesh cover. The water temp at opening was about 53. I've been at shock levels for a week and still have a CC of 2 and more to do.

I am not one of the lucky set it and forget it pools for some reason.

For next year, what do I do differently?

Help appreciated!

I grew up and work in Philadelphia. Moved to the suburbs a few years ago and got pool. I just opened to a crystal clear pool on Friday. A few details about my pool and what I did when I closed it that may have helped me open to a clear pool:

1 - brought pool to shock level at closing.
2 - I have a solid safety cover. I went with solid with the thought that it would basically keep the pool in the dark until i was ready to open. My thought was, if there is barely any sunlight getting through, algae would be less likely to grow

When I opened my pool friday, I still had an FC of 4.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.