Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floated Liner or Vandalism

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Floated Liner or Vandalism

image3.jpgimage1.jpg

Here is a good one for you. The attached pictures show what a client’s liner looked like this morning. She believes someone got in her yard, and fiddled with her liner, pulling it away. Her property is at the top of the street and this street has a grade of around 20% to the bottom of the street. I believe its possibly floating away due to ground water. Is there a way to tell? If one pulled the liner away from a wall and let the water rush in, would it in fact cause the floating seen in image 3?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Floated Liner or Vandalism

I don't know anything about in-ground pools. But I would think that there would be easier ways to vandalize a pool. Box cutter would be a lot less effort.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I'd bet 20.00 that mother nature is the vandal. (or workmanship)....ie a kid didn't do this.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

I think your theory is plausible, but I have a friend that has a leak in his pool and the liner is coming away from the wall just as your picture shows.
    I know his main drain is leaking so the whole pool has to be drained. His liner floats at the slightest variance in water level now.
    It started leaking mid to late summer this year so he just let it go until we close in a couple of weeks.
    An indicator of a leak would be to drain the water out from behind the liner while maintaining the water level in the pool. If there is no leak/ slow leak, the liner will push back up against the sides of the pool and the water level will go down behind the liner and the pool water will resume to filling after it pushes the liner back. Getting it to push back in the right place is the tricky part, but you being "in the industry" have an idea for that.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Got it back in place, culprit was a cracked return...go figure