Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pillow?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pillow?

So i understand the purpose of the pool pillow. To keep the cover off the water and help make a peak in the cover to shed snow and ice.

I heard of pool walls buckling if a pillow isnt used...When the pool freezes, the ice pushes out on the walls. And a pillow prevents this by allowing the ice to use the pillow as a sort of sponge.

Is this the case? I hadnt planned on using a pillow this year, but if i need to, i will.

This is my first year closing my own pool. I've found in the past...years ago, my parents used a tractor tire inner tube on their pool. I've even seen people use old tires in their pool before.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pillow?

Curious to know what you decided to do. Maybe my question will get you an answer
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool Pillow?

I went and got two 4x4 pillows. Going to tie them together and place in the middle of the pool. I actually found 2 used inner tubes but both had small holes in them and the patch on them didnt hold. So i had to break down and buy the cheap made, expensive pool pillows from the pool store. $11 for a 4x4. Hopefully they will hold up over the winter. I'll plan better next year. I'll round up a couple tractor tire tubes throughout the year.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM