Nature2 in a tub with two filters

Oct 2, 2014
Los Alamos, NM
I just purchased a house with a J-335 spa, so am new to all of this. I'm leaning towards going with the Nature2 + MPS system because I'm sensitive to chlorine. The hot tub has two filters. Do I want to put a Nature2 core into each of them, or just one?

Also- stupid question. The original order form for the spa says an ozonator was included. Is this something I should be able to see? Also, if there is one, how would you recommend I adjust the dosing for the MPS?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You should only need one Nature2 core since the spa is only 360 gallons. If it were a very large spa, then more might be needed. Note that even with the Nature2 + MPS system you will likely need to shock with chlorine every week or so depending on bather load in order to keep the water clear. If you have an ozonator, then perhaps this won't be needed as often. This is because MPS doesn't oxidize all the bather waste -- it only barely reacts with ammonia, for example.

You should also make sure you are actually sensitive to chlorine. Even with the Dichlor-then-bleach method, you usually only start your soak with 1-2 ppm FC and that's with 30-40 ppm CYA in the water so far less active chlorine then you have in a shower or bath. If you were truly sensitive to chlorine, you'd have to have a chlorine neutralizer for your shower and bath.

I have a 400 gallon tub and one nature 2 stick works just fine.

We use a non chlorine shock every time we use the tub or once a week if no use. We buy it in the 2lb containers and use a capful at a time.
It is the easiest care that we have ever had with a tub. I check my TA and PH weekly and make very small, if any, adjustments.
We are on our 3rd tub and have tried chlorine floaters, bromine (my daughter had issues with bromine) and nature 2. Nature 2 is by far the easiest. Our tub came from the factory with a del ozone ozinator. If it is more than a few years old it is likely not working anyhow, and from what I have been told/experienced the ozone is not worth the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You should only need one Nature2 core since the spa is only 360 gallons. If it were a very large spa, then more might be needed. Note that even with the Nature2 + MPS system you will likely need to shock with chlorine every week or so depending on bather load in order to keep the water clear. If you have an ozonator, then perhaps this won't be needed as often. This is because MPS doesn't oxidize all the bather waste -- it only barely reacts with ammonia, for example.

You should also make sure you are actually sensitive to chlorine. Even with the Dichlor-then-bleach method, you usually only start your soak with 1-2 ppm FC and that's with 30-40 ppm CYA in the water so far less active chlorine then you have in a shower or bath. If you were truly sensitive to chlorine, you'd have to have a chlorine neutralizer for your shower and bath.

Thanks for the feedback Chem Geek. I was planning to do an initial shock with Dichlor after following the superchlorination decontamination procedure posted to this site, which seems to match what SpaDepot suggests at:

http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/spa-contamination.htm

(I'm assuming this is necessary since the previous owners used SoftSoak and also have a leaky cover which I'm planning to replace). If I do continue to shock with chlorine every week or so after that in combination with the Nature2+MPS treatment, should I do so with dichlor each time or follow your dichlor-then-bleach method?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.