Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Pool Blankets

1. Back To Top    #1

Tempe, arizona

Solar Pool Blankets

Good day all.
    With summer drawing to a close. Here in Arizona we like to try and use our pools as long as we can...

Anyone one use any kind of solar covers, blankets etc...?

I don't want anymore equipment something simple.
    Any thoughts?
    In ground
    Intelliflo VS
    Side suction Robot

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Solar Pool Blankets

Any of the covers will help. The main function is to reduce heat loss to evaporation ... which happens a lot here.

Find the cheapest solar cover you can as they all seem to only last a couple years.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi. What shape pool do you have? We have a free form shape, which does not lend itself well to blankets. Plus, with the blankets, we didn't want a roller somewhere visible for storage. We use solar sun rings, which are great for fitting into the curves of our free form pool. They are lightweight and easy to remove/put back in. They have grommets for hanging, but we never found a good place to hang them, so we stack them in a pile in the corner (6 of one, half a dozen of the other when compared to having a blanket on a roller). That said, they don't fully cover the entire area, so some heat does escape, but they're better than nothing. I would say their biggest drawback is that they are an inflatable ring (which aren't the thickest and can get holes/leaks), but the ring tends to trap debris that falls from trees, etc. and when you go to pull them out, sometimes that debris then falls into the pool right when you're looking to start swimming. This is probably the biggest issue I have with them.
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, and, of course, Margaritaville blender!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

There have been a lot of bad reviews of Solar Rings so I would not recommend them plus they are very expensive. This is what I did for my free form pool and it works pretty well:
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Sacramento, CA

I have close to what Mark has. I have the solar roller. Purchased on Amazon. Works great.

Solar covers retain heat they don't create it so if there is no direct sun on the pool it won't heat up.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall