How to rinse?

Apr 10, 2013
Hello All! I'm a newish pool owner and haven't a clue what doing.

A little background. l replaced my sand last season. At the beginning of this season we had our cool deck redone and I think the debris from the demo is clogging the sand or something. Lots of fine dust comes out of the return jets after a backwash. I've read on here that you should rinse after a backwash but I don't know how. I don't have a multi port valve like the posts I've seen. Here is what I've got. Please ignore the ghetto paint on the filter. Trying to get another season or two out of it. The Arizona sun is brutal.

90b3aadf1445a05cdd48cea2a20da659.jpg

66f7b4af0cae454c6bed0560fe311484.jpg

Thanks for your help!
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The handle on the plumbing right next to the filter is a push/pull main valve. It has two positions: 1) Normal (filter) and 2) Backwash. Usually the handle has a lock that must be released before moving it (either a button, or twisting the handle, or both). The pump should also be off when switching the main valve.

If visible dust is getting through the filter, your sand is probably channeled, though there might instead be something broken inside the filter. Try cleaning/resettling the sand bed and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the responses!

I was just now trying to deep clean the sand. I must be doing it wrong when I try to fill the filter with water its just draining back into the pool. The dirt is washing into the pool through the jets. If I put the backwash valve down into backwash mode it holds the water until it starts flowing out the valve. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Rob

Figured it out. I did a search. I'm not the only one that has had this problem.

Cant find a head slapping emoticon.

I broke my Jandy valve handle trying to block the flow to the pool so I took it a part and reversed it. And to keep it from flowing out the backwash port I put a bag over the plastic cap inside the filter. The filter is now overflowing filthy water and debris.

This site is fantastic. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.