Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to rinse?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to rinse?

Hello All! I'm a newish pool owner and haven't a clue what doing.

A little background. l replaced my sand last season. At the beginning of this season we had our cool deck redone and I think the debris from the demo is clogging the sand or something. Lots of fine dust comes out of the return jets after a backwash. I've read on here that you should rinse after a backwash but I don't know how. I don't have a multi port valve like the posts I've seen. Here is what I've got. Please ignore the ghetto paint on the filter. Trying to get another season or two out of it. The Arizona sun is brutal.

Thanks for your help!
    Rob

AG Intex 20 x 10 x 52" 6600 gal, sand filter - 1600 gph

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to rinse?

The handle on the plumbing right next to the filter is a push/pull main valve. It has two positions: 1) Normal (filter) and 2) Backwash. Usually the handle has a lock that must be released before moving it (either a button, or twisting the handle, or both). The pump should also be off when switching the main valve.

If visible dust is getting through the filter, your sand is probably channeled, though there might instead be something broken inside the filter. Try cleaning/resettling the sand bed and see if that solves the problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

You do not have the rinse option. Here is the process for cleaning the sand: Deep Cleaning your Sand Filter
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses!

I was just now trying to deep clean the sand. I must be doing it wrong when I try to fill the filter with water its just draining back into the pool. The dirt is washing into the pool through the jets. If I put the backwash valve down into backwash mode it holds the water until it starts flowing out the valve. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Rob

5. Back To Top    #5

The filter is off. It was just the hose water pressure pushing the dirt through the plumbing.

6. Back To Top    #6

Figured it out. I did a search. I'm not the only one that has had this problem.

Cant find a head slapping emoticon.

I broke my Jandy valve handle trying to block the flow to the pool so I took it a part and reversed it. And to keep it from flowing out the backwash port I put a bag over the plastic cap inside the filter. The filter is now overflowing filthy water and debris.

This site is fantastic. Thanks for the help.

Rob