Main drain - what is this?

May 23, 2009
I closed my pool today. In doing so, I blew the main drain line out using a compressor. This usually causes the main drain cover to come off because it is not physically fastened down.

When I looked into the main drain, I saw a piece of plastic pipe sticking into the main drain cavity from where the main drain connects to the pipe under the pool floor.

I swam in to take a look. I could not remove the plastic pipe but it did slide back easily into the main drain pipe. The pipe was very thin and I could squeeze it with my fingers. Also, the piece of pipe that was visible had perforations in it.

I'm thinking that the piece of pipe is not part of the actual plumbing because it was so thin. Also the spot where the main drain connects to the drain pipe appeared to be in tact.

What was it?

Below the bottom of the main drain, there is usually a well point that connects to the bottom threaded hole from the bottom. The well point is perforated. A hydrostat is usually threaded into the same hole from the top. However, what you're describing does not seem to be something that is working as designed.

Note: The main drain cover should always be properly secured for safety. If it ever comes off, it should be replaced with the most current approved drain cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.