Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae outside the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae outside the pool

We have a birdcage and there is algae (I assume) on it. My husband power washes it occasionally and of course the runoff gets into the pool. Should we raise the chlorine in the pool before he cleans the cage to prevent it growing in the pool? I don't think there is any way to add bleach to the power washer but if there was would that do it?

We also have algae in some of the cracks in the pool deck and at the base of the birdcage. I guess this might explain our algae problem.
    14188 Marcite pool. 1/2 hp pump Hayward cartridge filter. SWCG Goldline T-15 Turbo cell. Spillover spa. Birdcage.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae outside the pool

I would bump up your FC BEFORE you wash the cage.

Perhaps you could put some bleach water in a pressure sprayer and apply it to the algae spots on the cage and patio before you powerwash it. Then you would only be getting dead algae into the pool.

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Do not run bleach water through your pressure washer as it may ruin the insides of the machine. I would suggest using a spray bottle with bleach water before you clean the cage.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I think we will do both. Spray the spots and up the FC. Looks like A TS is coming so we aren't going to do anything right now
    14188 Marcite pool. 1/2 hp pump Hayward cartridge filter. SWCG Goldline T-15 Turbo cell. Spillover spa. Birdcage.

5. Back To Top    #5

Some pressure washers can run bleach, some cannot. It depends on whether the intake is before or after the pump. If it's before the pump it can ruin the washer. My craftsman has the intake after the pump and I can run pool chlorine through it.
    Usually the instruction manual will tell you what cleaning compounds are safe to use in your pressure washer.

6. Back To Top    #6

waterbear

Do you mean you can run pool chlorine through or you have? What kind of situation would need running pool chlorine thru the pressure washer?

I have a terra cotta tile roof that's in need of cleaning. I've seen cleaners clean other roofs and it smells like bleach but now I wonder if they use chlorine.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn_in_FL
    waterbear

Do you mean you can run pool chlorine through or you have? What kind of situation would need running pool chlorine thru the pressure washer?

I have a terra cotta tile roof that's in need of cleaning. I've seen cleaners clean other roofs and it smells like bleach but now I wonder if they use chlorine.
    Jenn, bleach IS chlorine!! 8) The 'pool chlorine' or 'liquid shock' is a higher concentration (10 or 12%) whereas regular bleach is 6%.

My suggestion was using a pump-up pressure sprayer, like you would use for bug spray or gardening.

My powerwasher is a dinky electric thing, but I can attach a container with bleach or cleaner right near the trigger, so it does not go thru the machine at all.

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!