Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So I just cut this off? =D

1. Back To Top    #1

So I just cut this off? =D

I got my replacement pump Friday and need to get the swap completed. I watched some videos and scanned through the threads here. I figured I would be able to just cut the pipe and join the new piece with the old piece with a coupler. Looks like I do not have a enough room, so should I just cut through it, unscrew it from filter and find a new elbow? Will that be a part at lowes or home depot? It looks like the elbow comes out of the pump then reduces?

http://i.imgur.com/p5NxTOm.jpg

Thanks for the help, I just wanted to make this as easy as possible on me.
    In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So I just cut this off? =D

Replacing that pump will take a little extra effort. It is simple enough to cut the pipe a bit above the pump, allowing you to remove the existing pump. But properly attaching a new pump will be a little tricker. The only visible place to attach the new pump output is by using a larger pipe (probably 2-1/2") to connect over the outside of the three way valve. However that leaves you very little room to fit in the correct pipe reducer and elbow, making that approach either quite difficult or requiring additional plumbing work to match shifts in location of both the input and output pipes.

The other, more expensive, option is to replace the three way valve as well, replacing everything up to the union. This is a far simpler plumbing job, but adds the cost of a new three way valve to the project.

In either case, you also need to find an exact match for the union, or else replace the union(s) as well.

Places like Home Depot and Lowes generally have the parts you need, though they don't always have exactly what you need actually in stock. Good quality three way valves often need to be ordered through the Internet, or purchased from a pool store. Other less common parts can also be ordered through the Internet or found at a may of the better plumbing supply shops.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Jason,

Thanks for responding!

I went out and cut the pipe at just above the pump. Then took off the coupling on the front. And detached the wires. One surprise I got, the wires are completely dry rotted and insulation just crumbles off. (hooray) I am sitting here looking at it now trying to figure out how to run the plumping. The inflow pipe won't connect either and the flange has to be cut off. I am guessing though that just some unions and maybe a small extension to the connector that came with the pump will make that side hookup.

Anyhow would something like this work for the valve?

Jandy 2 to 2-1/2-Inch Positive Seal NeverLube Valve
    by Jandy
    http://amzn.com/B001I7HZ20

And could you or anyone suggest how they would route the pumping? Is it just the same way only taller?

Thanks guys, its helping the stress.
    In ground (installed 2000), fiberglass, cartridge filter, Pentair Super Flo Single speed pump (2014).

4. Back To Top    #4

If the pump inlet is a different height, then you need to cut the intake pipe further back (away from the pump) and put in two 45 degree fittings with just the right amount of pipe to get the height change you are looking for. Depending on how things turn out, you may need to rotate the 45s to adjust the height, keeping in mind that that will also move the pump sideways. Depending on what you have off the edge of the photo, there might be a few other options, but that is normally the most straightforward.

If you currently have 2" pipe, then that valve is perfect. If you have 1 1/2" pipe you either want to get the smaller version of the valve, or switch your pipe to 2".
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey Jason, thanks again for the help!

Finally have to time this week to get the new pump hooked up and going to buy all the fittings / pipe. The one thing I am not sure about is the screw on areas that come apart and allow rotation. Are they simply named "2-in dia PVC Sch 80 Union" I found them at lowes and just wanted to make sure? I noticed on mine it has one on the inlet, and only one on the right side (between filter and valve). Should I only worry about having a union on that side?

Oh and one other thing. If I have all 2" dia PVC piping. Do I pick up a 2" valve? I was wondering if it would slip inside even though they both say 2". I am going to get a new valve and the weird elbow on the left side doesn't look like I can connect into it anyways.

Thank you!

6. Back To Top    #6

Top quality valves tend to work with two different sizes of pipe, with one size fitting inside, and the other size fitting outside the connection provided on the valve. The three way valve in your picture is one of these good valves that takes two sizes of pipe. Assuming you are getting something similar, both the 1 1/2" - 2" version of the valve and the 2" - 2 1/2" version of the valve will work with 2" pipe.

If you want to try to reuse the valve you have, it looks like it will still work with 2 1/2" pipe going over the outside after you cut off the existing pipe.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ah OK I get what you mean so if all my pipe is 2" then I just need a coupling that fits 2" on one side and 2 1/2" on the other in order to slip over the valve?

Thank you so much, that will save a bit of money!

EDIT: I am having a really hard time finding a 2" to 2" 1/2" reducer coupling. I am guessing that not a common size?

8. Back To Top    #8

You can use a 2-1/2 coupling and a 2-1/2 to 2 reducing bushing inside it. Then your 2 inch pipe will go in the bushing.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome, thank you N240!

EDIT: I am guessing 2 1/2 inch PVC anything (coupling, reducer) is a very odd size. I can not find anywhere local that sells either in 2 1/2". Do you guys have a trusted online source? I have only found a few industrial sites and they have very high shipping costs.

Thanks and sorry for being a pain!

10. Back To Top    #10

Amazon and eBay are my go to sites. I use others too, but never bought pvc online. Try an actual plumbing supply house.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

OK here I go updating this thread once again! (sorry) Here is an image of the pipe, its nearly 2" but I found one on the other side (in a diff area) that is labeled 1 1/2".

http://i.imgur.com/zBAdxmA.jpg

So are 1 1/2" pipes close to being 2"?

Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

http://www.harvel.com/piping-systems...-80/dimensions

1.5" PVC is just under 2" OD, 1 1/2" sized PVC refers to the ID, not the OD.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you very much! Now I wont pick up all the wrong pipe / fittings. I am getting this done over the weekend. (if I can hunt down a reducer)

14. Back To Top    #14

Just be sure when you pick up pipe and fittings that they are specifically Schedule 40 PVC. They should have "SCH 40" stamped on them somewhere. Schedule 40 is rated for pressure which is required for pool systems under pressure. Schedule 80 will work as well but is usually more expensive and rated for higher pressure. Fittings with DWV on them (drain, waste, vent) are not rated for pressure and have a foam core rather than a solid wall like SCH 40 or 80.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Are the dwv like a foam pipe with pvc laid onto the outside, or is there pvc on the inside and outside with foam in the center?

16. Back To Top    #16

Welcome to the world of trade size vs nominal size. Some are further off than that.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Are the dwv like a foam pipe with pvc laid onto the outside, or is there pvc on the inside and outside with foam in the center?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a foam core with PVC on the inside and outside. Kinda like a foam sandwich. PVC bread, foam cheese.

18. Back To Top    #18

Gotcha. Never knew that. I always just assumed it was like schedule 10 or something super thin.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks again everyone! And ya I work in the world of QC and have to hold some tolerances of .0005, it kind of blows my mind that the actual and called out dimensions are so far off. It kind of freaks me out actually.... lol

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

It's like a 2X4 or a "60" class tv.

Not all DVW pipe is foam core. Most pipe except for 2 1/2" pipe is rated for DVW use. So SCH 40,80 pvc is usually DVW rated. Foam core pipe is still sch40 ( wall thickness) pipe, but it must say "not for pressure" on it.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool