Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolest things you've found in your skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Coolest things you've found in your skimmer

This is my first year with a pool, and I've come across several critters in my pool this year. Usually bugs, spiders, frogs, and a few voles. A few days ago I found this awesome little guy.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coolest things you've found in your skimmer

Nice little yellow spotted salamander. We have had toads and Texas spiny lizards in our baskets. Only one toad was still alive.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

3. Back To Top    #3

I've occasionally had shoulderless critters in mine most of them have died, but now and then one will still be alive. I live near a lake, and have had copperheads in my yard. I don't know if they're swimmers, but I've netted a few snakes swimming in my pool--don't know what they are.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Great photo!! Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

I haven't found any snakes in my pool, but I did watch a little one go under my house about 20 ft from the pool. I didn't realize how common that salamander was until I looked it up. Still the first one like it I've ever seen. I did have a much smaller dark reddish one earlier this year.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I've had several similar salamanders in mine. Other that that, lots of frogs and dead mice.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Bugs. Just dead bugs. We had a brood of Kildeer (a small bird) in the pool. My wife was trying to net them out as momma bird attacked her.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm familiar with killdeer. Never seen one near my house.

10. Back To Top    #10

I managed to save a field mouse from drowning. Mostly insects and one possum (dead).

11. Back To Top    #11

I can't imagine finding a opossum in my pool. Especially in my skimmer! I don't know how one would even get in unless it tried to crawl in there.

12. Back To Top    #12

I just find mostly bugs in the skimmer, but we have raccoons that will come and swim in the pool and I think there washing there food on the first step before they eat it. Sometimes I find chicken bones and other stuff in the morning on the first step with little wet foot prints going across the deck.

Also one time I look out and there was a duck in the pool. I think it was a Mallard.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

13. Back To Top    #13

A duck would be cool. Chicken bones not so much.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

We have quail that come back each year to raise a new generation in our back yard. The mother always parades them up and down along the pool deck. Each year there are a couple of casualties. I have only been successful in rescuing one or two.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Funny about the mallards. We had a pair in our pool this spring. That and a family of tree rats like drinking our salt water.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Did have something crazy in my pool for a bit. Turned out to just be my mother-in-law. We do refer to her as the "old bat", so I guess that qualifies.....
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

17. Back To Top    #17

I guess that counts! I had a real bat swoop down either to get a bug or a drink one evening. He got too close and splatted on the surface of the water. Took him a couple seconds to get enough lift to break free of the water.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    We have quail that come back each year to raise a new generation in our back yard. The mother always parades them up and down along the pool deck. Each year there are a couple of casualties. I have only been successful in rescuing one or two.
    We get bobwhite quail but I have never seen one in or by the pool. But our cover is closed 90% of the time and the take off when we go outside. We have 40 acres if field next to us. I bet there are thousands in there since my lab died and is not out there to terrorize them.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

19. Back To Top    #19

Coolest things you've found in your skimmer

A few days ago I accidentally ran over a small black snake with the mower. It was about a foot long and no bigger than a pencil. The next day I almost stepped on this one while headed out to turn my pump on for a bit. I was looking at the number of leaves on the surface and bottom of the pool, determining my plan of attack, and didn't see it til my foot was headed down right in front of it. I believe it was a black rat snake. Every bit of 3.5ft long. It never acted aggressive in any way. I nudged it with a pool noodle, it flicked its tongue twice, and went back to the woods. Everybody at work thinks I must live in a jungle because of all the stuff I run into. Nope. Just a few miles from them. Amazing what you see when you pay attention I guess. Or don't pay attention in this case.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by samiguy View Post
    Did have something crazy in my pool for a bit. Turned out to just be my mother-in-law. We do refer to her as the "old bat", so I guess that qualifies.....
    Haha. Old bats can be quite the shocking sight in the pool!

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast