Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: String lights!

1. Back To Top    #1

String lights!

With our pergola just about complete (incomplete to-be-updated story here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ding-a-pergola), we're starting to think about lighting! Probably going to go with string lights...anyone have experience with these? We have used a fairly inexpensive clip-on set that we would wrap around a big umbrella at night. They've lasted pretty well for 3 or 4 years, but we didn't use them all that much and they've been stored out of the weather.

So, does anyone have anything that is more or less permanently installed? I'm wondering if the "commercial" "heavy duty" stuff is worth the 3x-4x cost. It will be exposed to the weather...mostly shaded (pergola top is 75-80% shade) but will get rained on, rarely here in Tucson.

Here's the kind of stuff we're looking at:

Cheaper: http://www.noveltylights.com/C7-100-...0-Sockets.html
    Expensiver: http://www.noveltylights.com/100-Bla...e-Sockets.html

Also struggling a bit with how much light we might need...recommendations for interior lighting are a bit variable, and this isn't interior anyway! The pergola is about 325 square feet, so using one of the 100' strands linked above would be 500w/325 = roughly 1.5w/sqft. Or, we could double that and be at 3w/sqft, but that seems awfully bright. We don't need to read out there, but don't want it to be too dark to, say, carve a pumpkin. Any thoughts are appreciated!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: String lights!

Have you thought about using LED rope lights. You can get them pretty much any length you need, plus you can cut them down if you buy too much. Also, they use way less power and theoretically last 20 times as long. I put a dedicated outlet that is mounted high up on one of the legs of my gazebo. That outlet is tied directly into my easytouch, so I can turn the lights on and off with the wireless remote. I was in the same boat as you, but finally decided against buying those globe type strings.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Used string lights on my patio this year with the little clear globes and everytime it rains the globes fill with water. Turn them on and they go POP! Will be taking them down.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

Stang - we looked at lots of stuff...with LEDs, nothing is bright enough unless you spend hundreds.

Smforte - really? That's odd...we have left ours out and that hasn't happened. It shouldn't unless the glass has already cracked, right? Now you've got me worried.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, we went ahead and ordered the less expensive ones...100' total. I cannot imagine that 100 7w bulbs won't be bright enough. If the cheaper wires fail we're only out 30 bucks.

I'll post some pictures once they're set up!

6. Back To Top    #6

We have a 8x10 covered pergola type structure and ran rope lights around the inside up against the tin roof. My wife was insistent on adding some of those lantern type string lights with the 7w bulbs. Way to bright. And we only added an X pattern (corner to corner) so maybe 32' of them. But our structure had a lid (metal roof)
    So it reflects light down.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

7. Back To Top    #7

I was just wondering if you were going to be carving pumpkins again this year! Be sure and post pics. You do some awesome pumpkin carvings!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks bdex...if it's too bright we can always replace them with 5w bulbs or just pull some out. We'll see...no tin roof on ours!

Zea, this is actually the 10th year...hard to believe!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
    Well, we went ahead and ordered the less expensive ones...100' total. I cannot imagine that 100 7w bulbs won't be bright enough. If the cheaper wires fail we're only out 30 bucks.

I'll post some pictures once they're set up!
    Been waiting for a nice night shot. We went with a way cheap option MITS. I re-puposed a few strings of solid green traditional Cristmas Tree lights. Honestly, they have served us well, and I'll burn them till they go out. Once they do, I hope we can find something similar as they are going out of style it seems.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Bought a 60 ft string of LED rope lights from an EBAY seller for about $60.00 and ended up only using about 50ft. Took this photo from 40ft away. Although not always as aesthetically appealing as the globes, they do have their place.

Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Have you thought about something like these? Costco here in Tucson has them on sale right now.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-...100140552.html

I would use them but my HOA rules prohibit any fixture with a visable light bulb.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Have you thought about something like these? Costco here in Tucson has them on sale right now.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-...100140552.html

I would use them but my HOA rules prohibit any fixture with a visable light bulb.
    HOA's....Man.

Does this mean no Christmas lights?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

There is a provision for Christmas lights. It's a dark sky rule. The town also has a similar ordnance. All lights have to be shielded to cut down on light pollution. You should understand that, it's all about keeping those "stars at night big and bright".
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Did you get your lights up? I'm thinking ahead to spring and would love to add some globe lights to our (uncovered) pergola.
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

15. Back To Top    #15

Yeah we did...pictures coming eventually!