I guess I am a DUMMY

Jun 1, 2014
Monterey Tn
ok folks here goes, I know everyone keeps telling me to go to the PoolMath, which I have done but just don't understand it. Duh Me! We are wanting to close the pool and TFP says bring the pool to shock level, well I would but not sure what shock level is. Can anyone possibly help me and not holler at me please.

Relax Verna2197, most of us are too comatosed from relaxing by our crystal clear TFP pool to be able to holler and those that are not relaxing, are dreaming of next years pool season. It takes too much energy to make that much noise.

What are your current test results (FC, CC, pH, CYA) I read that you have a K-2006 test kit. No hollering, but need to know those numbers to advise further.

MarianParoo has the answer. We need test results.

As far as being a dummy, naaaa.. just haven't learned yet.

*Goes back to his normally scheduled comatosed state*

Yup, you've got it! Yes, you need to get FC up to 16ppm, and yes, it will use some bleach. Now you can go to PoolMath and plug in your numbers in the left columns. For goals of TA, CH, CYA, just use your current numbers. So CYA current is 40, CYA goal is 40.

However, I wouldn't just get FC to 16 and then close. With your current FC being so low, I suggest you do an overnight chlorine loss test: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt.

wow thought I posted a message awhile ago but not seeing it. Just want to thank everyone for their help. Another question do I put the same number in both boxes in Poolmath? Not to sure how to use that either. Sorry for not knowing but I figure the best way to find out is to ask.

Actually I just figured out how to do the PoolMath. wow I can figure some things out.

In the left now column, you enter your current numbers and in the right target column, you enter the target number you want. Then hit calculate.
Enter your current FC then put in 16 as your target. Your CYA would be 40 in both columns as you don't want to change it.
Don't forget to add your water volume at the top. Enter 8.25% bleach, jug size is 121oz. Set up the other fields near the bottom of the page. It's a good idea to play around with it so you get the hang of it. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That was the goal, for you to figure it out. We could have told you, but now YOU know how!!!

Still strongly recommend the OCLT above, though! You don't want to close without making sure you have nothing hiding in there. Since your FC got down to 0.6, you may have.

BTW, use a 10ml sample when doing your FC and CC tests. Count drops like usual, but multiply by 0.5 instead of 0.2. You will save on reagents. Also, a half dipper of 0870 powder is usually enough.

So what was your FC and CC? Great that there was no loss overnight last night. Recommend 2 nights of no FC loss before OCLT is completed.

Btw, do you plan on using polyquat before closing? If so, wait until after OCLT. Then add polyquat, and be aware that it will drop your FC. You will need to wait a day, test, and bring your TESTED FC back up to 16ppm before closing. If you don't understand that, let us know. If you're not using polyquat, no worries.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.