Recommend a New Pool Pump

Oct 4, 2014
Allen, TX
IMG_1251_zps1a583f2f.jpg
I need help to purchase a new Pool Pump. My old pump housing just cracked and doesn’t keep a prime anymore – the motor is becoming louder and louder. The motor is a Emerson K63CXESE-4792 (1.5 HP). The Pump housing has 2" fittings for the pipes.

I bought the house at a discount and have no documentation, but I’d say the system is 15-20 years old. I have no information except what I see.

I’d like a quality pump at a reasonable price (Quality coming first)

I cant seem to load pictures on this site for you to see, but most of the piping is 2” (except for the intakes to the pump from the Skimmer and Main Drain with appear to be 1½ or 1¾ pipes.)

A friend recommended the Hayward SP2610X15 1 1/2" HP Super Pool Pump. (He says its a good pump at a reasonable price) - BUT I see it is 1½ pipe fittings. I have received differing opinions to what this means.

TO ME, it seems I should stay with 2” fittings on a Pump with pool piping that is mostly 2”

I could be totally wrong, and would like some advice here.

1. Do I need to find a Pump with 2 inch fittings? or can I use adapters to use the Hayward pump?
2. What pump would you recommend?
3. If I can use the Hayward SP2610X15 with downsized connectors, will this affect the flow rate detrimentally?

Thanks for the Help

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah81/tiernanlawiernanlaw/IMG_1251_zps1a583f2f.jpg

Hi, welcome to TFP! I don't think adapting 2" inch pipes to 1 1/2" fittings just at the pump is going to noticeably effect your flow rate or pressure. Any major brand name (Hayward, and Pentair are most common) pump will be good.

It is important to pair the size of the pump with the size of the pool, and the size and type of filter. In your photo it looks like you have a DE filter, maybe 48 sq ft size? How many gallons of water does the pool hold, do you have additional water features such as fountains, waterfalls, deckjets, in floor cleaning system, spa, or bubblers that would also run off this one pump? Is the booster pump in the picture for a dedicated cleaner line or to power a water feature? If you edit your signature to include details about your pool they will be contained in every post and that makes it much easier for us to help you with any pool issues in the future.

The answers to these questions will help us guide you to picking the right size pump for your pool. A pump that is overpowered will use more electricity than is needed to help keep the water circulated and filtered. You may want to look at 2 speed or variable speed pumps for energy efficiency.

Regardless of the pump you choose you will be doing some plumbing work to cut the old pump out and install the new one. I would strongly advise adding unions to the plumbing to make it easier to remove the new pump in case it ever needs servicing.

EDIT: Taking another look at your photo, you may want to compare length of the old pump to the new one. It looks like the old one is butted right up to the fence and doesn't give you a lot of space to work with to install the new pump. The sizes should not vary too much, but in this case an inch either way could make a big difference in how easy it is to install.

Thanks Zea3, I changed my signature and here is the info you asked for.

- Pool Size is approx. 14,000 gallons (No deep end)
- My Filter is a 48 sq ft DE filter (Nautilus NS 48)
- I use a Polaris 280 cleaner powered by a separate booster pump
- There is a spa and bubbler (Run off main pump)
- No water falls, deckjets, etc.
- I have a Hayward Heater – H Series, Model H250IDL2 (Not working right now, needs a new board I’m told)

You should be able to use a 1 hp single or two speed pump for your pool, maybe a 1 1/2 hp two speed if you like very energetic bubbles in the spa. You would run the pump on low for filtering and water circulation and high for vacuuming and jets for the spa. I only see 1 return inside the spa, are there additional jets in there that can't be seen?

Yes, there are three jets in the spa - one of them is a main jet from the running of the pool filter,(it acts like a water fall from the spa when the pool is running normally.) The other two go on when a valve is turned on for the Tub to run.

I think I am going to go for a 2-speed 1-1/2 hp pump. I'd rather have too much power, than too little. Do you have any recommendations?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.