Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I just screwed up BIG TIME

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation I think I just screwed up BIG TIME

Clearly I have no business owning a pool...

So, I'm closing my pool this weekend, I just vacuumed, had the chlorine at shock level, added some polyquat last night, and I'm draining the water...

AND I'VE DRAINED IT BELOW THE LOWEST PORT THAT WATER GOES BACK TO THE PUMP.

Someone please tell me if I've screwed up again or not!
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think I just screwed up BIG TIME

Yes drain it below the return. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

If you live in an area with prolonged temps below freezing, then it is best to drain below the intake and return openings. If you have the standard intex pump, filter, and hoses remove them, drain them and store them in a protected area, like a garage, shed, or basement. You can choose to cap off the intake and return or just leave them open and any excess water from rain or snow melt will drain out those openings.

If you have made modifications such as adding a skimmer and hard plumbing you should drain below the skimmer, blow or drain the water out of the plumbing and cap it off. If you have a skimmer and hoses you still have the option of removing the hoses and leaving the skimmer open so it will drain. In either situation drain the pump and filter. If you have a sand filter you may want to take the time to deep clean the sand filter, but it is not required for closing.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have made modifications such as adding a skimmer and hard plumbing you should drain below the skimmer, blow or drain the water out of the plumbing and cap it off. If you have a skimmer and hoses you still have the option of removing the hoses and leaving the skimmer open so it will drain. In either situation drain the pump and filter. If you have a sand filter you may want to take the time to deep clean the sand filter, but it is not required for closing.
    I would remove the hoses, that would insure that the water dosent rise during the winter above the suction and return ports on the pool, fill the hoses and crack them. Also, be sure the pool valves are open on the suction and return.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)