Cartridge Filter Maintenance

Sep 11, 2014
Winter Springs, FL
I have a Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge filter (C1200). I clean the filter every 2-3 weeks by taking it out and hosing it down to get all the dirt and gunk out. But how do you know when the filter needs to be replaced and not just cleaned? Also, someone told me i need to lubricate the O-Rings and gaskets. Is that true? What should I use to lube them? or should I just replace the O-Rings periodically?

Thanks
-Matt

Is the filter pressure climbing that quickly that you need to clean your filter that often?

As for the o-rings, yes it is a good idea to put some pool lube on them that you can get at any pool store. Plumbers silicon grease works well too.

I have been operating without the bands for the last 5 years so those aren't all that important either.

Yours is a 120 sf filter. My 300 sf filter easily goes six months between cleanings, but of course that depends on how much dirt and debris end up in the pool.

Rule of thumb is to clean the filter when the preesure reads 20% higher than the pressure when the filter is clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.