Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge Filter Maintenance

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge Filter Maintenance

I have a Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge filter (C1200). I clean the filter every 2-3 weeks by taking it out and hosing it down to get all the dirt and gunk out. But how do you know when the filter needs to be replaced and not just cleaned? Also, someone told me i need to lubricate the O-Rings and gaskets. Is that true? What should I use to lube them? or should I just replace the O-Rings periodically?

Thanks
    -Matt
    Pool Info:
    Type: In-Ground, Plaster, @13500 Gallons
    Filter/Pump: Hayward Star-Clear Plus (C1200) Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VSP
    Age: Built in the 80's, but completely renovated and re-surfaced in 2014
    Test Kit: Tests done using TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge Filter Maintenance

Is the filter pressure climbing that quickly that you need to clean your filter that often?

As for the o-rings, yes it is a good idea to put some pool lube on them that you can get at any pool store. Plumbers silicon grease works well too.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Well it did this month because we had a ton of thunder storms all month that blew all kinds of dirt and debris in the pool. It shot up in about a week. I was told it needs it about once per month. I've only owned this house for a couple months.
    Pool Info:
    Type: In-Ground, Plaster, @13500 Gallons
    Filter/Pump: Hayward Star-Clear Plus (C1200) Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VSP
    Age: Built in the 80's, but completely renovated and re-surfaced in 2014
    Test Kit: Tests done using TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as the cartridges are intact, no holes or tears, and the banding is not broken they should be good. Hose them off when needed and give them a good soak overnight in a solution of 1 cup dishwasher powder to 5 gallons of water once a year. (can be more often if needed) More info on cleaning a cartridges filter here.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been operating without the bands for the last 5 years so those aren't all that important either.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Yours is a 120 sf filter. My 300 sf filter easily goes six months between cleanings, but of course that depends on how much dirt and debris end up in the pool.

Rule of thumb is to clean the filter when the preesure reads 20% higher than the pressure when the filter is clean.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.