Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Water reading on Pentair Panel from SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Water reading on Pentair Panel from SWG

Hello there! My panel has consistently read about 200 points lower than the pool store says my salt level is. I can live with that, no biggie. YES, I TEST MY OWN WATER, but I rely on the mom and pop pool store to check my salt level, as the only other method I have is to read the panel. Both last week (there was no rain) and this week ( a little rain today), my panel was approx 600 points off from the pool store reading. My SWG (Intellichlor IC20) was cleaned at the beginning of this summer. The water temp is now about 80 degrees now, but it was consistently 90-92 this summer.
    Does anyone have a clue as to why this is off now? Does this normally happen as the SWG gets dirty or water temp decreases? My pool is just under a year old. Thanks!
    18k Gallon gunite with Diamond Brite Bahama Breeze, Intellichlor IC20 SWG, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Clean and Clear

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Water reading on Pentair Panel from SWG

Both colder temperatures and dirty plates can cause the salt to read lower than actual.

Meanwhile, keep in mind that even the very best salt tests are +-400, so getting the same reading within 200 is just as good as exactly agreeing, and even a 600 point difference is not considered significant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow....thanks for the update. I'm going to clean the plates this weekend. My concern is that when the red light is on, "chlorine is not being made". I don't want to end up slamming. I guess I'll just test chlorine level daily.
    18k Gallon gunite with Diamond Brite Bahama Breeze, Intellichlor IC20 SWG, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Clean and Clear

4. Back To Top    #4

Just another bit of info: I used the spa this morning and the light turned green and my panel read Salt level at 3600 ( I did not add any salt). Maybe the cooler water temp is affecting the reading...

5. Back To Top    #5

I took a water sample to two different pool stores. Neither of them was within 800 ppm of what I found to be the correct number once I used my Taylor 1766 salt test kit. That has always been accurate with the swg panel.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter