Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and FC levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Question CYA and FC levels

OK ive done a ton of reading the past few weeks and i think im doing ok. My pool seems to be pretty clear for the most part. Recently i learned about CYA and FC levels (the hard way)... So now brings up the question of --- With CYA of 80, the target FC should be around 9, but is this fine to swim in? Everywhere i read says you shouldnt swim in a pool with FC over 4, im confused. I need to keep the chlorine up high enough to counter the effects of CYA, but then what good is it if it cant be swam in?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA and FC levels

Welcome to TFP!!!

Simple, stop reading about pool maintenance anywhere except here and you will not worry.

Perfectly safe to swim up to shock level which for you would be a FC of 31ppm. The bogus 4ppm number assumes that you have 0ppm of CYA (like many indoor public pools).

Plenty of threads in the forum discuss this if you want to search.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA and FC levels

Welcome to TFP !
    If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us help you better.
    At some point you may want to look into lowering your CYA level. The recommended range for a non SWG pool is 30-50. Right now your at the high end of the range for a SWG pool. I'm not sure if you have any water restrictions in the area you live that would not let you do some water replacement.
    Otherwise just maintain an FC level of 9, 10 being the high end of the range and never below 6 and you'll stay algae free.
    Forgot to mention. Target 9 as the PH test will read a false high at FC levels of 10 or more. Another reason to lower CYA levels. That way at a lower CYA level you can target the high end of the FC range and have plenty of wiggle room so you don't fall below your min. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Spades:

Welcome to TFP!!! ^^^What they said. You are being given good advice.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just updated my signature, i hit refresh and am not seeing it.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome This weekend we swam in our pool for the 1st time in a month and everything went just fine, no bleached skin or clothing Unfortuneately, the water is getting quite cold (73 water temp) and im now looking for ways to heat up the water. I have in place 500' of black irrigation tubing, but our nights are roughly 58-62 and the black tubing can only mange to raise it about 10. Im now reading up on 120V spa heaters and see if i can implement something to extend my season another month
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

6. Back To Top    #6

And there it is!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter