Pump usually running 24/7 due to surface debris -- determining how much to cut back

Sep 29, 2014
Hamilton, Canada
Hello!

New pool owner here. (see first thread -- has photo of how foilage heavy our pool is, with branches overhanging ~1/4 the surface area of our pool)

We usually keep the pump running 24/7 to keep debris and water quality manageable, even when we go to bed for the night with the pool cover on (for algae management) and when pool cover is off (for foilage debris management too). Except when I heated up the pool but turned off the heater and want to preserve the heat overnight, I turn off the pump to prevent the cold ground from cooling down the water as it's pumped (I feel cold water coming out of the jets, half an hour after I turn off the pool heater -- indicating the ground is cooling down the water).

I have an issue of foilage and lots of debris in the pool, so running the pump allows a lot of debris to reach the skimmer eventually. But may want to cut back a bit next year, as I've reliably kept the pool clear and will also be getting better test kits too.

Do other people with foilage-heavy swimming pools, have recommendations on how to cut back the pumping? Perhaps turn off during the expensive electricity rates (TOU) -- but keep it running at all other times and during the weekend when people are using the pool? I'm wondering how surface debris builds up if you don't run the pump 24/7.

Every pool is different. Why not try cutting back on the pump and see how it goes?

Have you read this: Determine Pump Run Time

One option would be to run in short blocks spread throughout the day so that the debris is skimmer every so often before it can sink. Could start with trying 3 hours on, 3 hours off, etc ... although that still may be more than you need.

Even for a lot of foliage, you shouldn't need that much run time unless you are trying to keep the pool spotless all the time. It is ok to leave debris on the surface or on the bottom of the pool but I realize that some people are more picky than others.

Also, are the skimmers effectively removing the debris? They should clear the surface in an hour or two at most. If not, then you may need to make some adjustments with the returns or perhaps valve settings.

Even for a lot of foliage, you shouldn't need that much run time unless you are trying to keep the pool spotless all the time. It is ok to leave debris on the surface or on the bottom of the pool but I realize that some people are more picky than others.

Also, are the skimmers effectively removing the debris? They should clear the surface in an hour or two at most. If not, then you may need to make some adjustments with the returns or perhaps valve settings.
if we let water level go half an inch to an inch low of the "recommended line" marked on the skimmer cover, the skimmer is effective on half the surface debris, especially the flowers that fall (we have a rare Rose Sharron tree too) and hemlock needles. Most of the pine needles tend to overshoot the skimmer though, most of the time.

There is only one skimmer. I considered: Is a 2nd skimmer a worthwhile long term upgrade for a foilage-heavy pool?

if we let water level go half an inch to an inch low of the "recommended line" marked on the skimmer cover, the skimmer is effective on half the surface debris, especially the flowers that fall (we have a rare Rose Sharron tree too) and hemlock needles. Most of the pine needles tend to overshoot the skimmer though, most of the time.
That could be because something is wrong with the weir door. Your skimmer has a weir door correct? That is what makes it possible to run at a variety of water level heights. Without it, the skimmer would only work better at lower water levels.

There is only one skimmer. I considered: Is a 2nd skimmer a worthwhile long term upgrade for a foilage-heavy pool?
Actually, adding a second skimmer can be counter productive because the flow rate is then split between the skimmers so they are each less effective. If most of your debris is around the skimmer, you are better off with one skimmer.

There is no weir door, just an opening about 6 inch tall, with a line marker in the middle. Never heard of weir doors till today, thanks for the new search term to google...

Sounds like I should look at researching how to get a weir door installed. The plastic skimmer cover (Equator brand) with 6" tall rectangle hole is removable, being inserted into a rectangular cutout in the vinyl, allowing a same size opening with a proper door to be attached, I hope. No peg holes suggesting a missing door, but need to look closer. I imagine it is a standardized size?

We use a mesh cover on our pool. Its on all the time except when we're using the pool. We have a number of large trees around our pool as well. We're in Canada so I ordered our cover from poolsupliescanada.ca
We have a solar cover because it works well with our pool heater (we heated the pool to hot tub temperatures last weekend, 96F) so that catches debris too, and a pole brush that allows us to sweep the debris to the end of the pool cover.

But often, the sweep time versus skim time is a wash, time-wise. So if we swim everyday during midsummer hot days, the solar cover stays off all week and all night, skimming by saving time. Keeping cover open seems to keep algae down by keeping the pool cold during the hot summer days when we like it colder. Unless we aren't swimming for a week or heating the pool during current cooler times, then keeping the solar cover on and sweeping the solar cover saves time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.