Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heated a pool to hot-tub temperatures for an annual party (96F)

1. Back To Top    #1

Heated a pool to hot-tub temperatures for an annual party (96F)

Hello,

Last weekend, we heated the pool to 96F which was nearly hot tub temperatures, for a neighborhood party event. It was very popular, being it cool outside the pool in the evening (~12-15C / ~55-60F), and we lit up the area with Xmas lights, candles and a couple tiki torches. So since the evening air temperatures was a bit nippy, the pool was actually steaming as a result. (A laser-pointer bean was actually visible! Some LED pool toys actually emitted beams of light into the air, ala the "Partysaurus Rex" video). We are certainly wanting to do this again next year.

- We used the solar cover too; forecast was sunny
    - It took 36 hours to heat 20,000 gallons from 68F to 96F.
    - Gas reading indicates we used up about 40-50 dollars of natural gas (at our rates), worthwhile for an annual event
    - Water stats were all within OK ranges, chlorine aimed at high end of OK range (due to increased temps / high person count)

I would like to know if this is bad/dangerous for the pool heater (natural gas) to push the heating that hard occasionally.
    Became homeowners/poolowners in 2014 -- Now Resident Experts In Cheaply Hot-Tubbing (95F) A Large 20,000 Gallon Pool.
    20,000 gallon concrete/vinyl, 32'x16' size, Raypak Digital 266 Heater, Hayward Tristar VS pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heated a pool to hot-tub temperatures for an annual party (96F)

I have done it with no issues. It was 50 at the start and in the low 60's during the day and I got my small pool up to 98. Never saw a problem with the heater afterwards. However it only took me I think 12 hours to get it that high.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

No problems at all letting the heater run like that.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow 40-50 bucks is cheap. Me it would have cost $150-$200 to heat that with my propane. Here we are paying $4.70 for propane, I guess NG is cheaper.
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Sta-Rite SR400LP Maxi-therm propane heater, Jandy aquapure/apurem 1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

NG is cheap if available in your area.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

IIRC, my price is just slightly below 18cent/m3, add transport charges on top, and the heater uses up a bit more than a dollar worth of NG per hour at its maximum setting.
    Became homeowners/poolowners in 2014 -- Now Resident Experts In Cheaply Hot-Tubbing (95F) A Large 20,000 Gallon Pool.
    20,000 gallon concrete/vinyl, 32'x16' size, Raypak Digital 266 Heater, Hayward Tristar VS pump