Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time Winterizing -- Freeze zone

1. Back To Top    #1

First time Winterizing -- Freeze zone

Is it necessary to drain below the return? Seems like an awful lot of water....
    12X20 semi inground pool with SWG; 1.5 HP pump and Cartridge filter; 5600 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time Winterizing -- Freeze zone

Quote Originally Posted by MoonHen92 View Post
    Is it necessary to drain below the return? Seems like an awful lot of water....
    To clarify, I have a skimmer plate that is covering the skimmer and a plug for the return. I read pool school which recommends draining 6 inches below but I was not sure if that was referring to pool owners who use a skimmer plate because the next bullet in pool school says its a personal choice to leave them open. Thanks in advance for any help!
    12X20 semi inground pool with SWG; 1.5 HP pump and Cartridge filter; 5600 gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

No, When they bubble just plug them. Some covers, like loop loc have a distance not to exceed. I don't remember, it's either 15 or 18 "
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

4. Back To Top    #4

No, if you door closes off from the inside of the pool and the return is plugged. This is the first year of draining down for me. High CYA. If you cover make sure that there is some pillow or floats to allow for ice expansion.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend