New Pool Build Maryland IG Fiberglass

Our build in Walkersville, MD started last week and probably should have been done by now. We went with a Riviera 34 IG fiberglass made by Leisure pools. Our PB was about $11k cheaper than Sylvan Pools for the same pool and extras we wanted (colored gel coat, 2 deck jets, extra return, SWG, etc). The trade off is that Sylvan would have been done 2 months ago, with our PB we were 10th on the list. We are using a small PB called Laurel Pools in Libertytown, MD. They only build around 20 to 25 pools a year. The only part of the pool installation process that they sub out is the electric.

Reading forum posts on here for the last 4 months prepared me for all of the problems that can go wrong with a pool build and that prepped me for issues and that is why I'm not freaking out on the PB for going over by several days of the projected install time, that and all of the workers have been over the top friendly and accommodating with several "extra" excavation requests I had. We've not had any major issues, but little annoying ones that have added days to the building process. They got behind on the pool being built the week before mine too. And the main guy, I think, has too many jobs going on at one time and might be one of those people that tries to keep everything straight in his head without writing it down or keeping notes somehow.

The little things are 3 hours late on the first day to dig; digging delayed because they had to find a place that would take the 10 loads of dirt from the dig. He also never called Ms Utility to mark the underground lines (they showed up and marked 8 days after the PB started digging, luckily he never hit anything). They also never scheduled the electrician for the day I was told to be home to let him in. Also, today we failed the electric inspection because the trench wasn't deep enough, so who knows when they'll be coming back out to get that right and when the inspection will get done. They have the forms done for the concrete, but the pour is delayed because they didn't order the cantilever concrete forms early enough and they aren't here from Texas and also, we have to wait for for the electrical inspection to pass. So in the end we'll probably go over by an extra week to 10 days. I know that isn't long compared to a gunite pool or compared to the problems others have faced. Again, little annoyances relatively speaking. We knew we wouldn't get much (if any) swimming in this year anyway.

Here are some pics of the build so far. it's going to be a complete back yard makeover with me doing all of the work (expect for the pool). I've redone the deck, replaced the old wood picket fence with a vinyl privacy one, when the PB gets done I'll be installing a retaining wall and 15'x32 paver patio and about 70 feet of paver walkway.
IMG_0498_zps36609cb5.jpg

IMG_0937_zps25b3b085.jpg

IMG_0940_zps20340557.jpg

IMG_0943_zps14531e52.jpg

IMG_0944_zpsd67758ef.jpg

IMG_0951_zps228ebcf4.jpg

IMG_0949_zps09a4954f.jpg

IMG_0947_zps89bd8d02.jpg

IMG_0965_zps115e5573.jpg

IMG_0967_zpsf553deb1.jpg

IMG_0970_zpsec587df5.jpg

IMG_0987_zps47a186ed.jpg

IMG_0988_zps084271de.jpg

IMG_0990_zpsd46b7447.jpg

IMG_0994_zpsf7bf9fdf.jpg

IMG_0995_zps6b4260a4.jpg

IMG_0996_zps88e96db0.jpg

If they work, here are some videos of them getting the pool off the transport trailer and another of them getting it into the hole. You might have to click on the below picture and the youtube link.

[URL=http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/spinachetr/IMG_0962_zpsbee438aa.mp4][/URL]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBqSNlLjjo&feature=youtu.be

Let me know if you see any glaring problems, since the PB will be here for a few more days.

Congrats!

I am just outside Urbana and have a Leisure Pool as well. We have a Moroccan 38 installed about 5 years ago. I know if Laurel but we went with a different installer back then. This was our first pool and between the fiberglass, salt and the advice here it is simple as can be. If you need any chemistry help, please ask.

Your wooden equipment panel mounting area looks very similar to mine (which I made). Very nice. Many freestanding ones are substantially less substantial. The whole project looks great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that the weather is getting nicer I can continue working on my DIY hardscaping. I've built a 100+ foot retaining wall, paver walkway(s) and a 35'x14' paver patio. Still some more work to do, but I'm getting closer to getting sod put down (also DIY) and some plants in. It'll be ready in time for pool opening in about 3 weeks.
10385291_10206683368869661_5048889333005088463_n_zpsro3xg98l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1062_zpsj8gsvhbw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1042_zpsnspeiqyl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

LOVE the patio and walkway! You are doing a great job!

What will you be putting behind the retaining wall? Will the sod go by the pool?

Kim

My wife has already planted some rose bushes and smaller flowering type trees. She also has a boatload of flower seeds to turn the rest of it into a wild flower garden. If it was up to me it would be astro turf, just hose it off went it gets dirty and no bees or petals to get in the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

DIY? You are working like a madman! Looks great!

Thanks and saving $$ like a mad man too. Pool builder wanted $10k just for the wall. My expenses for blocks, pavers, and tools to do the walkways, wall and patio is only about $6k. But, I'll probably blow the savings on chiropractor bills.

Looks good! Question for you. In one of your pictures I see you have a solar cover and reel. Did you cut that to fit the exact dimensions of your pool? And how do you plan to roll it up and put it out because of the odd shape?

The cover was provided by the PB and they cut it to the shape of the pool. The odd shape does make it a little uneven (as you can see in the picture) when it is rolled up, but I am able to unroll it and roll it back up with little difficulty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.