Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Build Maryland IG Fiberglass

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build Maryland IG Fiberglass

Our build in Walkersville, MD started last week and probably should have been done by now. We went with a Riviera 34 IG fiberglass made by Leisure pools. Our PB was about $11k cheaper than Sylvan Pools for the same pool and extras we wanted (colored gel coat, 2 deck jets, extra return, SWG, etc). The trade off is that Sylvan would have been done 2 months ago, with our PB we were 10th on the list. We are using a small PB called Laurel Pools in Libertytown, MD. They only build around 20 to 25 pools a year. The only part of the pool installation process that they sub out is the electric.

Reading forum posts on here for the last 4 months prepared me for all of the problems that can go wrong with a pool build and that prepped me for issues and that is why I'm not freaking out on the PB for going over by several days of the projected install time, that and all of the workers have been over the top friendly and accommodating with several "extra" excavation requests I had. We've not had any major issues, but little annoying ones that have added days to the building process. They got behind on the pool being built the week before mine too. And the main guy, I think, has too many jobs going on at one time and might be one of those people that tries to keep everything straight in his head without writing it down or keeping notes somehow.

The little things are 3 hours late on the first day to dig; digging delayed because they had to find a place that would take the 10 loads of dirt from the dig. He also never called Ms Utility to mark the underground lines (they showed up and marked 8 days after the PB started digging, luckily he never hit anything). They also never scheduled the electrician for the day I was told to be home to let him in. Also, today we failed the electric inspection because the trench wasn't deep enough, so who knows when they'll be coming back out to get that right and when the inspection will get done. They have the forms done for the concrete, but the pour is delayed because they didn't order the cantilever concrete forms early enough and they aren't here from Texas and also, we have to wait for for the electrical inspection to pass. So in the end we'll probably go over by an extra week to 10 days. I know that isn't long compared to a gunite pool or compared to the problems others have faced. Again, little annoyances relatively speaking. We knew we wouldn't get much (if any) swimming in this year anyway.

Here are some pics of the build so far. it's going to be a complete back yard makeover with me doing all of the work (expect for the pool). I've redone the deck, replaced the old wood picket fence with a vinyl privacy one, when the PB gets done I'll be installing a retaining wall and 15'x32 paver patio and about 70 feet of paver walkway.

If they work, here are some videos of them getting the pool off the transport trailer and another of them getting it into the hole. You might have to click on the below picture and the youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBq...ature=youtu.be

Let me know if you see any glaring problems, since the PB will be here for a few more days.
    Leisure Pools Riviera 34 Fiberglass IG 16100 gals
    CS150 Cartridge Filter 1hp FloPro pump, AquaPure E1 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build Maryland IG Fiberglass

Congrats!

I am just outside Urbana and have a Leisure Pool as well. We have a Moroccan 38 installed about 5 years ago. I know if Laurel but we went with a different installer back then. This was our first pool and between the fiberglass, salt and the advice here it is simple as can be. If you need any chemistry help, please ask.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, that makes for a much quicker install for sure. I guess you just drain and cover for winter?
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Your wooden equipment panel mounting area looks very similar to mine (which I made). Very nice. Many freestanding ones are substantially less substantial. The whole project looks great!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Spinachetr View Post
    If they work, here are some videos of them getting the pool off the transport trailer and another of them getting it into the hole. You might have to click on the below picture and the youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBq...ature=youtu.be
    Thanks for posting the video link. Still photos cannot convey the enormity of this task!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the kinds words everyone. The electricians came back Friday morning and the inspector was out just a few minutes after they finished digging the trench deeper, so we passed. Concrete pour still hoping for Monday.

7. Back To Top    #7

It is not even my house but I was holding my breath as the pool was lowered!

Thanks for the pics and videos!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thankfully you didn't end up like this poor guy, saw this in the link section to the right of your video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SwVcQxWbQM
    Inground pool, bit of an L shape with a spa with spillover, 3 pumps for pool, spa and water feature, salt water system, 400K btu heater, Aqualogic controller

9. Back To Top    #9

Concrete was poured yesterday.

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks good!
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks good...Not much privacy in that back yard huh? They pack you in like sardines....
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by doobs41378 View Post
    Looks good...Not much privacy in that back yard huh? They pack you in like sardines....
    it is pretty tight and we actually have one of the "better" lots. Won't be much skinny dipping until the future trees are planted and are 20' tall.

13. Back To Top    #13

Now that the weather is getting nicer I can continue working on my DIY hardscaping. I've built a 100+ foot retaining wall, paver walkway(s) and a 35'x14' paver patio. Still some more work to do, but I'm getting closer to getting sod put down (also DIY) and some plants in. It'll be ready in time for pool opening in about 3 weeks.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

14. Back To Top    #14

DIY? You are working like a madman! Looks great!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

LOVE the patio and walkway! You are doing a great job!

What will you be putting behind the retaining wall? Will the sod go by the pool?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    LOVE the patio and walkway! You are doing a great job!

What will you be putting behind the retaining wall? Will the sod go by the pool?

Kim
    My wife has already planted some rose bushes and smaller flowering type trees. She also has a boatload of flower seeds to turn the rest of it into a wild flower garden. If it was up to me it would be astro turf, just hose it off went it gets dirty and no bees or petals to get in the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    DIY? You are working like a madman! Looks great!
    Thanks and saving $$ like a mad man too. Pool builder wanted $10k just for the wall. My expenses for blocks, pavers, and tools to do the walkways, wall and patio is only about $6k. But, I'll probably blow the savings on chiropractor bills.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by cwescapexlt4x4 View Post
    Wow, that makes for a much quicker install for sure. I guess you just drain and cover for winter?
    Not unless you want to float your pool :::shiver!:: You treat a fiberglass pool just about like any other pooll
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks good! Question for you. In one of your pictures I see you have a solar cover and reel. Did you cut that to fit the exact dimensions of your pool? And how do you plan to roll it up and put it out because of the odd shape?

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by jandersen13 View Post
    Looks good! Question for you. In one of your pictures I see you have a solar cover and reel. Did you cut that to fit the exact dimensions of your pool? And how do you plan to roll it up and put it out because of the odd shape?
    The cover was provided by the PB and they cut it to the shape of the pool. The odd shape does make it a little uneven (as you can see in the picture) when it is rolled up, but I am able to unroll it and roll it back up with little difficulty.

20. Back To Top    #20

Looks great!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast