Alkalinity question

Oct 1, 2014
Vacaville, CA
My First Post
FC - 4

CC - 0
pH- 7.6
TA - 60? or 120? Added 2 cups baking soda every month.
CH - 600 Was 300 April
CYA-90 Was 45 April
Pool water is very clear. Using pool cover this year. PH very stable 1-2 weeks. Chlorine usage seems normal 2-3 tabs/week

We have 2 Pool Stores in town. I am getting different alkalinity readings from each store this year. I'm getting a 3rd reading from my kit around 80-90. Can high CH or CYA cause funny TA readings? Plan to replace water this winter. How can I confirm the correct TA level?

I hope your going to switch over to liquid chlorine, bleach or use a SWG. The pucks are not good for long term use. They keep adding CYA. Is the CYA level you posted the store testing or from your kit ?
If your CYA level really is 90 which is too high, your min FC level is 7 and you should be targeting 10-11. Without the FAS/ DPD test you can't test FC levels that high. ?

Thanks guys, My test today for TA was around 80-90. My CYA and CH were not as high as the store readings. My readings were CH-450 and CYA was 70.
I do use liquid chlorine during the winter. Calf.
Normally I have to replace 1/3 pool water in the fall each year to keep CYA and CH under control. Any way to reduce the CH cycle. Incoming water 80-90 CH.
What test kit would you recomended.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the help guys.
The last question was.
Is there any thing I need to do with this Posting or Thread? This is my 1st time using the wed site.

There was question that did not get answered at the beginning. Can high CH (600) and high CYA (100) cause funny TA readings?

...My readings were CH-450 and CYA was 70.
I do use liquid chlorine during the winter. Calf.
Normally I have to replace 1/3 pool water in the fall each year to keep CYA and CH under control. Any way to reduce the CH cycle. Incoming water 80-90 CH.

Any way to reduce CH from cycling up with 80Ch incoming...
I'm not sure this really got answered, other than the suggestion to welcome rainwater when it comes.

How to you think the calcium goes up as much as it does, given the relatively low levels in the fill water? Is it just evaporation? You did say you use a pool cover, so that must cut down on evaporation somewhat. Your water chemistry numbers don't look as though the water should be attacking the plaster (another possible calcium source). Are you using cal hypo for chlorination, at least some of the time? That would add calcium, and, if so, going to liquid chlorine would help your calcium problem also. I think it was assumed in an earlier post that you are using trichlor pucks (which add CYA along with chlorine), because you did mention tabs in your first post. Could you clarify what form(s) of chlorine you've used in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.