Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alkalinity question

1. Back To Top    #1

Alkalinity question

My First Post
    FC - 4

CC - 0
    pH- 7.6
    TA - 60? or 120? Added 2 cups baking soda every month.
    CH - 600 Was 300 April
    CYA-90 Was 45 April
    Pool water is very clear. Using pool cover this year. PH very stable 1-2 weeks. Chlorine usage seems normal 2-3 tabs/week

We have 2 Pool Stores in town. I am getting different alkalinity readings from each store this year. I'm getting a 3rd reading from my kit around 80-90. Can high CH or CYA cause funny TA readings? Plan to replace water this winter. How can I confirm the correct TA level?
    I have a 16x34 15k gallon, in ground, Plaster/Pebble. Purex Triton Cartridge Filter (320SqFt) with 1-1/2 Single Speed Pump. Built 1996, re-plastered 2010.
    Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit 18-576 Combined Spa & Heliocol Solar Panels (220sqft), Hayward chlorine injector CL220. 2 water falls with separate pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alkalinity question

Welcome to TFP!!!

First, realize that we do not trust pool store testing. Once you stop having them test it ... then you will not be confused by their numbers

So which numbers are from YOUR test kit ... which BTW is not one of the Recommended Test Kits because it is missing the critical FAS-DPD Chlorine Test which you can add separately.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Alkalinity question

I hope your going to switch over to liquid chlorine, bleach or use a SWG. The pucks are not good for long term use. They keep adding CYA. Is the CYA level you posted the store testing or from your kit ?
    If your CYA level really is 90 which is too high, your min FC level is 7 and you should be targeting 10-11. Without the FAS/ DPD test you can't test FC levels that high. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, My test today for TA was around 80-90. My CYA and CH were not as high as the store readings. My readings were CH-450 and CYA was 70.
    I do use liquid chlorine during the winter. Calf.
    Normally I have to replace 1/3 pool water in the fall each year to keep CYA and CH under control. Any way to reduce the CH cycle. Incoming water 80-90 CH.
    What test kit would you recomended.
    I have a 16x34 15k gallon, in ground, Plaster/Pebble. Purex Triton Cartridge Filter (320SqFt) with 1-1/2 Single Speed Pump. Built 1996, re-plastered 2010.
    Leslie's Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit 18-576 Combined Spa & Heliocol Solar Panels (220sqft), Hayward chlorine injector CL220. 2 water falls with separate pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

I use the TF-100. Best value. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Any way to reduce CH from cycling up with 80Ch incoming. Liquid chlorine on takes care of the CYA increase

7. Back To Top    #7

Rainwater, depending on your climate, of course.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

If you mean will it stop increasing if you use liquid chlorine? Yes! But it won't reduce existing Cya either.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Using liquid chlorine during the winter plus rain water plus replacing about 1/3 the water lowers CH & CYA for the next year. Then it starts building CYA & CH all over again. WOULD THIS BE NORMAL?

10. Back To Top    #10

Alkalinity question

If your using stabilized chlorine, that will increase your CYA. If you just use liquid chlorine, bleach that will not raise your CYA level. Stick with the liquid chlorine no side effects.
    A read over of these articles will help.
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    How To Chlorinate Your Pool. 😎
    Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Will look for new Taylor kit
    Any way to automate liquid chlorine addition?

12. Back To Top    #12

Alkalinity question

You can use the liquidator for chlorine automation. There are some DIY chlorine injection automation on the forum. SWG also. Do a search. 😎
    Jeff

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, with a stenner pump or salt water generator. I chose the swg so I don't have to haul chlorine bottles.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Do I need to close the post or reply to thread?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Davepoling View Post
    Do I need to close the post or reply to thread?
    Not sure I understand the question....
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

16. Back To Top    #16

I guess I answered his question fully enough?

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks for the help guys.
    The last question was.
    Is there any thing I need to do with this Posting or Thread? This is my 1st time using the wed site.

There was question that did not get answered at the beginning. Can high CH (600) and high CYA (100) cause funny TA readings?

18. Back To Top    #18

No, the CH and CYA will not affect the TA.
    Nothing needs to be done with the thread .... it will live on in infamy
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

...My readings were CH-450 and CYA was 70.
    I do use liquid chlorine during the winter. Calf.
    Normally I have to replace 1/3 pool water in the fall each year to keep CYA and CH under control. Any way to reduce the CH cycle. Incoming water 80-90 CH.
    Any way to reduce CH from cycling up with 80Ch incoming...
    I'm not sure this really got answered, other than the suggestion to welcome rainwater when it comes.

How to you think the calcium goes up as much as it does, given the relatively low levels in the fill water? Is it just evaporation? You did say you use a pool cover, so that must cut down on evaporation somewhat. Your water chemistry numbers don't look as though the water should be attacking the plaster (another possible calcium source). Are you using cal hypo for chlorination, at least some of the time? That would add calcium, and, if so, going to liquid chlorine would help your calcium problem also. I think it was assumed in an earlier post that you are using trichlor pucks (which add CYA along with chlorine), because you did mention tabs in your first post. Could you clarify what form(s) of chlorine you've used in the pool?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

Singingpond brings up a VERY good observation. Posts and responses like these are where we all benefit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast