First time closing an above ground pool

Jun 9, 2014
Danvers, MA
Hi Everyone,
This is my first year closing my above ground pool. I am a little intimidated and have been procrastinating. I've just printed out the document "Closing Your Above Ground Pool." A few questions:

-- Do you think this is something a relatively fit woman can do on her own? Or will I need to enlist the help of an able bodied guy?

-- What is a multi-port spider gasket?

-- Will I be removing hoses from the side of the pool and storing them all inside? And will those holes on the side of the pool just be left open?

-- I don't believe I own a pillow for the middle of the pool underneath the cover, or a leaf net. Should I order either of these things?

Thanks!

Kris:confused:

Your first question is tough to answer. You will definitely wrestle with that cover, so a second person will be a huge help.

The spider gasket is on the inside of the multiport. I just take the multiport off my sand filter and store it in the shed.

If the water is drained below the returns and skimmer, yes, just leave them open.

I put pillows underneath to encourage water to run off the cover (or in reality, seep through it). The one year the pillow deflated on me, the cover almost sank into the pool over the winter. I just picked up a three pack of 4'x4' pillows on ebay for 18.99 and no shipping.

Hi Everyone,
This is my first year closing my above ground pool. I am a little intimidated and have been procrastinating. I've just printed out the document "Closing Your Above Ground Pool." A few questions:

-- Do you think this is something a relatively fit woman can do on her own? Or will I need to enlist the help of an able bodied guy? You certainly can do it on your own!

-- What is a multi-port spider gasket? It's the gasket inside the multiport valve on a sand filter, you won't have one on your cartridge filter.

-- Will I be removing hoses from the side of the pool and storing them all inside? And will those holes on the side of the pool just be left open? Preferably hoses that are not attached should not be left out. The return holes will be plugged with a winter plug. The skimmer (s) should have the fronts taped closed with duct tape and then a gizmo inserted in the screw threads in the bottom.

-- I don't believe I own a pillow for the middle of the pool underneath the cover, or a leaf net. Should I order either of these things?
most pillows will just deflate over winter and in fact above ground pools shouldn't have covers on them IMO
Thanks!

Kris:confused:

I would strongly recommend hiring a professional for the first time if you are hesitant, you can the itemize every thing they do and be ready for the next closing.

Hmmm... still intimidated but have a few days of shocking to do to figure it out! I'm going to buy a leaf net I decided. Is 16' by 32' big enough for a 15' by 30' pool?

Thanks so much for the answers by the way, I appreciate your time and patience with me considering these are probably stupid questions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.