Dead algae settling overnight after SLAM?

Looks like dead algae to me. Vacuum it up. Why it settles over night, I don't know.
Is your FC still at shock level ? Have you passed all three criteria to stop the SLAM ?
1. Water is crystal clear.
2. You have CC of 0.5 or less.
3. You passed the OCLT.

It took a month because for the first couple of weeks I didn't know what the **** I was doing, throwing in shock packets and other **** willy nilly. It didn't start to take a turn for the better until I started reading some of the info on this site, got a TFT test kit, and used nothing but liquid chlorine to kill the algae. Thank you so much!

Jeff- my CYA was around 240 (I know!) so I had my FC @ 98! I know I was supposed to do a 75% drain/refill but that just wasn't going to happen so I had to go against everyone's advice and just slam at my crazy levels.
Jason- idk the answer to your question, or how to find out. The equipment is labeled but I can't decipher anything in regard to the sizes. All I can say is that the filter is pretty big :confused:

Wow ! How much bleach did you have to add to get to that shock level ? I've never seen somebody SLAM at that CYA level. How much bleach have you gone thru ?
Also a testament to FAS/DPD testing. Your shock level is good as per Pool Math also. ?

Mirazira,

Despite your slow start, you are on top of it now and will soon have your pool clear.

Yes, that is dead algae and you see it on the bottom overnight because those are the crevaces it can hide and gather even though the water is flowing over it. Keep following the SLAM and those piles will get smaller and smaller until they are nonexistant.

Good work figuring everything out!:goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason, you are right the situation is not ideal. I felt I had to choose between this or just "letting it go" until we can drain in November. The thought of having an open swamp in my back yard for 2 months was unacceptable to me and in my mind dangerous.
Honestly, I probably only used 16-20 gallons of HASA 12%. I also brushed and vacuumed religiously, it was exhausting.
I think the chlorine was already way high from all the shock & stuff (which also contributed to the CYA, I now know) and that's why it didn't take as much as I thought it would to get it up to 98. To maintain The level I would add 2 gallons each night, for about a week.
Not really relevant but the county inspector showed up this afternoon(we were reported for a green pool) and I was so excited to show him!!!

Good the pool was clear for the inspector !
It seems you know what your doing now and the mistakes made just chalk up to learning experiences. I think you did a fine job given the challenge you faced with the high CYA level. Heck I learn things here everyday. The problem is retaining everything. Lol ?

While I think the FAS/DPD test is effective, even at that ridiculously high number, I overlooked that you have not reported a pH which should have been done when your FC was 10 ppm or below..

jblizzle and powerstruck are right.....you should let FC come down on it's own to 10 ppm, then test your pH, adjust if necessary and restart the SLAM process.

Control your dosages this time and you will be better able to manage your pool.

Misery loves company. I also have been fighting high CYA levels (~140) with massive amounts of liquid Chlorine but I find that the FC is still at 0 every morning after putting in 1 gallon per day now but putting in over 16 gallons over the last week or two. I was using Leslie's granular chlorine generously over the last year and have now gone to their power powder and liquid Chlorine. I am in Northern California so I am trying to be a good citizen and not use too much water while we are in a draught. I will bring the CYA levels down over time with backwashing.

At least you are getting on top of it now instead of waiting until you have a thick green algae farm like I did. Surely my story has given you some encouragement, as I had (have) way higher CYA than you and it doesn't sound like you even have any visible algae (yet).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.