Construction Time! Miami, FL New Pool with Pictures and Prices Included.

ssml11

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2014
Miami/Florida
Dear all, a promise is a promise!

I've roamed around this forum for last two months bothering you guys with questions, and now I'm excited to announce that its GO time! I will try to maintain this thread updated throughout the constructions as much as possible to help new members not make the same mistakes I will probably be making through the process :cool:. Excavation starts tomorrow!

Background: I am building a pool by owner, meaning I will server as my own general contractor. I carefully made this decision after taking into consideration $$$ savings and most importantly, having more control over the process. I don't know how it is in other cities, but in South Florida builders are notorious for disappearing for weeks in between and finding a good one is hit or miss. Just last month one large builder went out of business almost overnight leaving over 80 paid pools unfinished.

Project: The project itself is relatively simple. I will be building a 12 X 25 rectangular swimming pool with one swim-out details, four deck jets and three spa jets for the swim-out details.

Equipment: Hayward Ecostar Pump, Hayward DE 3620 Filter, Hayward Colorlogic Lights, Hayward Colorlogic Color Changing LED Lights, Pentair Deck Jets, Hayward Pro-Logic PS4 for Salt System and Automation, Hayward Aquaconnect for Mobile App Control.

Challenges: The main challenge is dealing with a VERY small backyard. My entire yard is around 52' X 25', and fitting a 12' X 25' pool while maintain strict zoning setback guidelines wasn't easy. I had to request an "administrative adjustment" form the city to allow me move the the pool closer to the side street than the 20' required, so that I can actually enjoy a deck area outside of my patio door and not closer to the side street like the city wanted. Long story short: 60 days dealing with zoning and $1050 later in extra permit fees, I was granted the exception. The other challenge is MONEY of course. I am building paying from "savings" (read, save as you go and pay one contractor at a time).

Contractors Used: I was able to find the different contractors by doing a little bit of everything. The first ones I found by stalking a neighbor's pool project and writing down the company name of the contractors used by that builder. The others I found by asking these contractors for industry referrals. Craigslist and google help as well :)

Expect Pool Cost: Here's a rough breakdown of what I was quoted, and expecting to pay for my pool and deck. Permit fees are not included. This may change, and when it does, I will keep you posted.

Plans/Engineer: $400 ($300 plan + $100 soil statement)
Excavation: $1500 ($1200 original excavation plus $150 each of 2 backfills)
Rebar: $1550
Shotcrete: $2380 (17 yards @ $140/yard)
Plumbing: $1100 (materials and labor included, using top quality valves and 2" piping)
Electrical: $1500 (includes final installation of all equipment and automation system)
Equipment: $3,850 (Bundled price of all equipment listed above by a local distributor)
Deck:: $4500 (700 sq of 12" X 24" ivory travertine pavers, installation and drain channels included)
Misc: $1000 (other stuff I'm sure will show up)
TOTAL EXPECTED EXPENSE: $17,780 ($13,200 pool + $4500 deck)

--------------------------

Below is a snapshot of the plan and a pic of the patio before the excavations starts tomorrow. Notice: the plan doesn't show some updates recommended by fellow members, such as looped piping and DE instead of cartridge filter.

pic.jpgplan.jpgplumbing.jpg

Trying to get pics to show larger.

6e2a8w.jpg

aoxt7a.jpg

30ae2v6.jpg

Your thought process leading up to these posts seems very thorough and it just makes good sense someone so well organized should be their own TGC.

We all love new builds and look forward to following your along. Ask any questions as you proceed. Lot's and lot's of help from a lot of really knowledgeable folks here.

Congrats!!:whoot:

First minor hiccup/"something I will just have to live with". The excavation contractor just came to prepare tomorrow's dig and asked me how low compared to the house I will want the pool deck set. I never though of that one one.

Ideally, on a house with larger yard, I would first have a little terrace set around 5" under the house, and then the pool deck takes a final 4" drop. This is nice because the pool deck would not be set lower or at street level, meaning that the 6' privacy fence would really provide some privacy (I have a corner lot).

Since my yard is so low, I can't have a double dio drop. Therefore, my step down from the house will be the last one - pool deck leveled here. After some thinking I chose to step down 6". This means the deck will be around 5" higher than the street level. My privacy fence will really be 5' 6" effectively.

I guess this is just one of those things.

ssml11, great idea if you have the time to do owner build.You will definitely save some dollars. Just wondering what you were going to use the blower for. Are you planning do a screen enclosure, if so now would be a good time to put in footers? Do future electrical and water plumb for future summer kitchen. Do not skimp on the size of subpanel box (100amp is best) as you will need many extra room for other electrical. Do not skimp on the size of the equipment pad, leave room for possible future heat pump. We have a small pool aka SPOOL ( Social pool) and love it. What about SWG? Look at our pool build in the sig bar...:cheers::cheers:

Brentr, just checked out your pool - very nice project! The blower will be used to supply air to the three spa jets that will "massage" the swimout bench details. I read there was a very to plumb it with a loop above water level that doesn't require a blower, but I decided against that for length/strength possible issues I may encounter.
I WILL be setting up electrical for future outdoor kitchen, but not plumbing. My outdoor kitchen will consist of a grill and fridge only. In my case plumbing for a sink would require that I mess around too much with the sink drain and I truly don't want to go through that now. Also, yes I am using a Salt system. It's the hayward prologic automated. No screen enclosure due to zoning/space restrictions (I wish I could've fit it in).

This will be fun to watch, remember to keep a detailed photo library. You are saving some huge money by DYI. I love it!!!

The one thing I would add that you don't have is some sort of waterfall rather then the deck jets, any clients I have had, found they stopped using the jets after a while but thise with waterfalls loved them, as I do mine. So soothing to the eye and ear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those are some great prices you got quoted. I shopped around quite a bit, I'm not sure how your area compares to Southern Cal, but looks great to me.

On your cost breakdown you still need to figure for tile, coping and plaster.

Does the excavation quote include dirt removal? You must make sure you cover all details with your subs. Trust me, I've had to learn on the fly, and I've also received some great help from people on this forum, you'll be happy you did it yourself.

Great idea btw of stalking the neighbors build lol, that's taking advantage of an opportunity to get free sub info. I had a neighbor build one a few months before I did, I never even thought about it, wish I had.

You still have time to add a sheer descent. The cost would not be much more and you can always turn it off on on with a valve. Our pb gave us this for not additional cost. Also it is a pity you could not do a screen enclosure. We do most of our swimming at night and it is great not to have bugs etc.:cheers::cheers:

Corleone - the price of the coping and tile is part of the "deck" item. One thing I did forget is the $1400 plaster fee using Marbletite. I guess that will take away from the misc $1000 I had. Halfway through the project I will update costs and then once all done I will post finals. My goal is to stay under $20k. Builders quoted over $33,000 for my project.

700 sq ft of travertine, 74 ft of coping, waterline tile and drains for 4500? Incredible deal.

Label me skeptical. If you bought materials at contractor price and installed yourself it still would be hard.

Where I live brushed gray concrete is $4/sq ft, which means 700 ft would be around 3k just for plain concrete.

700 sq ft of travertine, 74 ft of coping, waterline tile and drains for 4500? Incredible deal.

Label me skeptical. If you bought materials at contractor price and installed yourself it still would be hard.

Where I live brushed gray concrete is $4/sq ft, which means 700 ft would be around 3k just for plain concrete.

I know, the prices for pavers and materials here in Miami are much lower than in other places of the country. Here's the breakdown of the decking cost:

Travertine: $2,275 ($3.25 / sq.ft). French pattern ivory, pretty good quality. From StoneLine here in Miami, FL

Glass Tiles: $228 ($6.00 per sq ft, essentially making it $3 per linear ft of 6" high. This is a tile imported from Spain, check out Hisbalit mosaic on Google and let me know what you think. This was a major saving, a builder locally has used it and swears by it.)

Travertine coping: $480 (40 pieces 12x24 of he same travertine, $12 each piece).

Grout, thinset and sealer: $320

Installation including sand: $1200 for everything (using the same installer that used the builder for my neighbor's pool. The can only come on weekends because during the week he works for a company...but I can wait because he does good work at a great price)

Total: $4503.00

Here are some pics of the travetine and the Hisbalit brand glass title I was mentioning earlier...what do you think? Do you like any of those colors?
IMG_2723.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 828
  • IMG_2728.jpg
    IMG_2728.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 818

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.