Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phenol Red

1. Back To Top    #1

New Hudson, MI

Phenol Red

I have the Taylor k-2006 kit and I have been quite pleased with it. I have, however, been refilling the consumables from TFKITS and I just received my order for phenol red refills. Well, I recall reading somewhere that the TFKITS reagents are all Taylor compatible, didn't think to check the numbers.

So my phenol red refill is R-014 but the comparator with the K-2006 assumes you use 5 drops of R-004. I also have an HTH 5-way kits which has the smaller pH tube, which seems to give about the right result with 5 drops of the R-014, so I assume that's the type of comparator in the TF kits.

My question is whether or n ot I can increase the number of drops of R-014 to get the equivalent amount of 5 drops of R-004? I really like the resolution of the K-2006 tube, and although these drops will work with my other kit, it just isn't as precise.

Thanks in advance.

27'x52" AG Vogue Impact, Waterway Cyclone 200 cartridge filter, Waterway pump w/2 HP 2-sp motor, 8mil solar cover, Raypak 206 nat gas heater, Pool Rover Jr.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Middle Tennessee

Re: Phenol Red

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, as I don't know what the difference in concentrations are between the R-0014 and R-0004 solutions. I did want to make you aware of a supplier that carries the R-0004 solution though, as well as all of the other Taylor reagents. Swimming Pool Supply is who I do business with, and they have the best prices I've found on the 'net. The reagents are drop-shipped directly from Taylor to you, too.

*disclaimer* - I profit in no way, shape, form, or fashion from any referrals to SPS. I just like helping my fellow pool pals save money when and where they can.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Phenol Red

no, it would not give reliable results to increase the number of drops.