pipe size question

May 3, 2014
Mississauga
i got a new pool built this summer. all pipes are 2" around equipment/returns except for one 2 ft section between the salt cell and valve actuator which is a flex 1.5" pipe (was put in as a temporary measure but now thinking of leaving it in place). is this going to be an issue longer term as the amount of flow/pressure in this section would clearly be intense to sustain 80 gpm flows (or am i ok to keep this configuration?) pool builder is willing to guarantee the work but just want to make sure im not setting myself up for issues down the road.

the pool functions properly though, all the returns/water features work even with this 1.5" piece in the loop even on full pump speed.

thx

A short section of smaller pipe will have very little impact on the total flow rate ... although not sure why you think 80 GPM is required :scratch: At best I get about 45 GPM I think.

The only time you want higher flow rates would be for a spa or solar heating. For filtration, lower flow rates are better ... and cheaper because it uses much less power.

Got ya. When I run on low speed, which is any time the solar is not running, I am down around 20GPM.

You could certainly slow yours down more for higher savings ... assuming the skimming is still adequate.

Got ya. When I run on low speed, which is any time the solar is not running, I am down around 20GPM.

You could certainly slow yours down more for higher savings ... assuming the skimming is still adequate.

unfortunately for my setup the salt cell and heater requires at least 30-35gpm to operate... i find for my system the lowest RPMs that works out to is around 1600, any lower and no heat/salt cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.