Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendations for leak detection in northern California

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendations for leak detection in northern California

Title says it all. I have a leak in my pool. Does anyone have recommendations for good pool leak detection companies in the Bay Area? I know ALD is one. Any other ones people have used with good results?

Thanks
    15K gal, IG, Pentair WhisperFlo, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendations for leak detection in northern California

I don't have any recommendations but have you tried to find the leak yourself? In most cases, non-pad leaks develop around the skimmer. Is this a gunite, vinyl or fiberglass pool?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I had a leak and suspected the skimmer. Sealed the skimmer but still leaking. I noticed the sight glass on the filter control valve had water in it suggesting that water was leaking out the drain when the valve was in the normal running position. I took off the rotating selector and found that the multiport spider gasket was damaged after many years of service. I replaced the spider gasket and the "leak" went away.

4. Back To Top    #4

I let the water level drop and it has stopped close to the pool light. It also seems to be sucking in the dye. Is that leak easy to fix?

5. Back To Top    #5

Exactly where is it sucking in dye and what kind of pool you have?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like the problem is back. I had a leak detection company come in and find the leak (it was a few cracks that I had in the pool). They applied generous amounts of putty, and the issue was resolved.....at least for a few months. The leak is back (we had a minor earthquake, and I think that had something to do with it). Is there a more permanent solution? Would that be replastering? Is there a risk of cracks reappearing with the next earthquake (I am in the bay area, so we get our fair share of those).

7. Back To Top    #7

Exactly where was the leak? Leaks through plaster and gunite are very rare. Leaks usually occur at the boundary of the gunite and skimmers/main drains, light niches and return lines because they are unlike materials and do not bond as well.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

Its actually in the middle of the deep side (on both sides). For some reason, I am unable to upload pics here. See link: https://picasaweb.google.com/1145424...35177/PoolLeak. as you can see, the crack is on both sides of the pool right in the middle of the deep side. It starts all the way at the top heading towards the main drain, but has not gotten all the way. I am also seeing cracks on the concrete by the pool. I think the land has shifted over the years (this is an old pool), and I wonder if that is causing the pool to crack.

9. Back To Top    #9

You said they used putty? Are you sure they didn't use marine epoxy? If not, they should come back and do it right.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    You said they used putty? Are you sure they didn't use marine epoxy? If not, they should come back and do it right.
    Thanks for the quick response. I have someone coming again tomorrow. Which should they use, putty or marine epoxy?

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't know what the putty is but marine epoxy is the only way I know to fix concrete cracks permanently.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    I don't know what the putty is but marine epoxy is the only way I know to fix concrete cracks permanently.
    This is what I meant. A+B Epoxy Putty - Rezolin, LLC

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok. Yes that's fine but it needs to be installed correctly. The crack needs to be cleaned out and widened some so the epoxy can adhere properly.
    Mark