Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aftermarket above ground pumps/filters?

1. Back To Top    #1

Aftermarket above ground pumps/filters?

Has anyone used a pond pump/sand filter for your above ground? my nephew has a intex and the included filter is a plastic piece of junk( had a algae bloom that required many many filter cleanings(cartridge is about the size of a 20oz soda bottle lol)

Thanks for any ideas.

ps Besides the higher costs, is the reason that those above ground pools do not come with a bigger pump a safety thing?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aftermarket above ground pumps/filters?

I think it is to just try to be as cheap as possible. The larger Intex sand filters and 2600+ pumps are not bad and many members upgrade to them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Im not sure if a pond pump is going to give you the flow needed to circulate the water efficient enough. Although i dont think its impossible, a quick search turned up THIS SETUP which is a direct replacement without any rigging or adapting hoses to install.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, that looks a little more durable, and reasonably priced!

Quote Originally Posted by one_knight4u View Post
    Im not sure if a pond pump is going to give you the flow needed to circulate the water efficient enough. Although i dont think its impossible, a quick search turned up THIS SETUP which is a direct replacement without any rigging or adapting hoses to install.