Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: plug pump into a regular outlet?

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile plug pump into a regular outlet?

Hello, Im trying to bench test our pump, I just want to hear it start and run for a few seconds(I know running it dry can damage the wet-end) do hardware stores sell the plug/wire so I can just connect to pump like I would at the equipment pad with the conduit/wires? then just plug into my dryer 3 prong 220 outlet...

Thanks for any help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: plug pump into a regular outlet?

Yes you can buy plugs. Yes you can buy wire to attach to the plug and pump. Yes it is possible wire it up to plug into the wall. But if you are asking these questions, I question your electrical knowledge and I am not sure I would recommend you do it. Would not want you to damage the motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pump is one foot in the garbage, I was just taking a chance on replacing a couple old parts/wires. I was more worried about damaging my outlet then the pump.
    I remember a few years back I lived in apartments and the pool guy had a makeshift vacuum powered by a regular pool pump on a cart that he pluged into the wall outlet.

4. Back To Top    #4

Most single speed pumps can be wired for either 115v or 230v. Have to be careful on wire gauge, especially at 115v.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Another thought is that if you wire it up wrong, you can make the case "hot" and electrocute yourself when you touch the motor to restrain the jump when the motor starts up. BE SURE OF YOUR ELEC. CONNECTIONS
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)