Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible to Repair Pool Lights?

1. Back To Top    #1

Possible to Repair Pool Lights?

I have a Pentair Amerlite 120v pool light.

The light assembly has taken in a small amount of water. I opened up the seal, let it dry, and replaced with a new bulb, but it's no longer working.

What exactly is "broken"? I would think it's basically just wires and a bulb, once it's dried out, shouldn't it continue to work? Is there an internal fusible link?

Is there an economical way to fix it? I'm getting sticker shock for the price of a new model.

Thanks for the help,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possible to Repair Pool Lights?

Have you checked your GFCI to make sure it didn't trip?
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you please put all of your pool equipment/info in your signature?

I assume this is an in ground loght assembly you're talking about?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

That is an IG light. I would venture to guess the water in there tripped the gfci, which is what it should do, so that is good news. Probably the breaker that needs to be reset.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm helping out my father with his pool at his house, he has a total of 3 Pentair lights, one in the spa and two in the pool. One of the pool lights is burned out and two of them are working fine. , The pool guy is quoting him around $2,500 to replace all three. It's an over the top quote imo.

All of them have a small bit of water inside of them, but only this one is not working. I'll have to see how it's wired, but is typical to have separate GFCI for each light? Or are they usually tied all together? I would have thought if the GFCI was thrown none of them would work.

I was hoping I could just repair one of them and let it be for a while. Is there an internal transformer that can be replaced?

Thanks again

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

There should be a parts diagram on their website. It'll be helpful to study that as those lights sorta' surprised me when I saw the first one. Water behind the lens is not necessarily the culprit. they can fill almost halfway and the water not touch the electrical socket for the light. Anyway, take a look at the diagram and see how they go together and I think it should be fairly simple to fix.

When I replaced my bulbs, they came with a new rubber seal which should always be used.....again, that seal may or may not be your issue. I'd pull the light onto the deck and make sure I was getting power to the socket to eliminate everything except the fixture as the culprit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School