Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Diatomaceous Earth to Intex sand filter questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Diatomaceous Earth to Intex sand filter questions

I am just getting to the end of a SLAM and want to add DE to my sand filter to help the filtration. 1st attempt was yesterday and I added the 1/2cup recommended and seemed to be working and I had to go to work. Came home and filter had a low flow indication and high pressure on the filter. I back washed this morning and tried again with around 1/3 cup. About 2hrs later I had to back wash again because of high pressure and didn't add any more for now. My question, is this normal and filtering that much better than regular sand or am I using too much? My water is almost back to normal from SLAMing, just a little murky right now but not bad. Should I expect to have to backwash and put more DE in multiple times a day for a while?

How much DE is everyone else using on the Intex sand filters? Do you put it in dry or mix with water? I did it both ways and it seemed to work better wet. When I put it in dry it seemed like it passed through the sand filter.

Thanks in advance.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Diatomaceous Earth to Intex sand filter questions

Watch the pressure gauge as you add it in small amounts. Stop adding when pressure rises 1psi. Then backwash when pressure rises 20 - 25%.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Watch the pressure gauge as you add it in small amounts. Stop adding when pressure rises 1psi. Then backwash when pressure rises 20 - 25%.
    That's what I did but don't know if I did it slow enough or too much or it just got clogged up that fast.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread

4. Back To Top    #4

What does your water look like? Sounds like the filter and DE are doing their job by catching something.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I concur with jblizzle. You wanted fine filtering and you got it. But all those bleached algae carcasses have to go somewhere.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What does your water look like? Sounds like the filter and DE are doing their job by catching something.
    Water is fairly clear, just finishing up the SLAM process so there is probably still some fine stuff in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I concur with jblizzle. You wanted fine filtering and you got it. But all those bleached algae carcasses have to go somewhere.
    I will keep at it, maybe start with smaller amount of DE and when the water gets cleaner add a little more. As is now I run around 5psi clean and 20% would be 1psi so if I raise it 1psi there isn't much left before I need to back-flush.