Metal staining - end of season - what to do?

carlos31820

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 22, 2010
Midland, Georgia
I've been battling iron staining for the past few months. My stainless steel pool ladder was rusting on the inside and has been removed from the pool. Unfortunately the damage has been done and my water must have a lot of iron.

I've done the Ascorbic Acid and phosphonic acid sequestrant treatment twice with great results only for the stains to slowly return after about 2 weeks later. Reading here, the consensus seems to be that I must not be using enough maintenance doses of additional metal sequestrant but I'm having to use about a half quart per week and that is very expensive.

Now that the swimming season is over, I stopped adding sequestrant and as expected, the staining is returning. My plan was to just wait until next spring, treat the water with ascorbic acid and replace a lot of water while the metals are in solution.

My concern is that the staining is continuing to spread all over my liner. Every few days, I look at it and it looks worse and worse. It seems to be the most aggressive staining I've seen in my pool. In the past, I never had stains on the liner whatsoever, only on the jets, skimmer, and the ladder steps. I'm worried that if I wait until next spring, the liner may be permanently stained.

Will waiting until spring do more harm than good? What would you suggest as my course of action? This staining issue is making me crazy.

Carlos, a water change is certainly the most effective solution.
If for any reason, however, you're not inclined to do that, (eg high water table or metals in your fill water)I suggest you very aggressively dose up now on either jacks magic or metal magic. I have a vinyl liner and have found that an aggressive dose of metal magic, eg five quarts, will in my case lift the stain as well and prevent or slow down returns. You can do the "sponge test" described on metal magic's (proteam) website to see first if that would work.

Either way, aged iron staining is much harder o remove than fresh iron staining, IMHO and you do not want to let that free iron sit over the course of the winter...so sequester it or remove it via water change.

Ok. I put sequestrant in the pool this morning. My daughter says the stains are all gone again. I'll need to check when I get home from work. Thanks for the advice, everyone. I guess I'll keep adding sequestrant over the off-season until spring when I can do the water replacement.

Sure enough, the liner and all the plastic fittings are now completely stain free. Pool looks new. pH is a little low at 7.0 but I'll leave it there for a few days before I try to raise it to 7.2 or so with borax.

I guess I'll keep using sequestrant through winter if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.