Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone have any ideas of how to get Wasps out of my control panel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone have any ideas of how to get Wasps out of my control panel?

Apparently, I have a fair number of wasps that have taken up residency in my control panel. Every time I start punching buttons, they start flying out of the bottom where the wires go into the panel, and also around the gap where my chlorine generator plugs in. I'm not sure how to get rid of them. I don't want to spray poison in the gaps for fear of shorting something out inside, and I really don't care to try and open the panel up. They have a nasty disposition Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks-
    20k gal Gunite, diamond brite plaster, Jandy 340 cartridge filter, T-Cell 15 SWG, Jandy Stealth 1.5hp single speed pump, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone have any ideas of how to get Wasps out of my control panel?

No ideas except wasp spray. They are all on the nest at night. That might be helpful for you. They won't be attacking as bad as in the daytime whatever you decide to do.
    18ft. Ultra Frame Pool. 1hp Advantage pump. 18 inch sand filter. Skimmer from previous Easy Set suspended over pool. Barracuda Ranger cleaner, new Hayward Leaf canister which is the best purchase I have made. Lots of dust here from gravel roads plus tree stuff.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I use this in the field when I encounter a nest. It works very well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CT...ref=mp_s_a_1_1
    Hot Springs certified service tech A
    APSP CST Certified
    CPO Certified

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I really hate wasps.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a propane powered fogger that I use around the pool for mosquitos. High quantitys of smoke might pursuade them to move on. If not, spike the fogger mixture with a wasp killer (Permethrin)(That is what I use around my pool deck and carport to control and remove wasps and or yellowjackets). If you cannot pursuade them to leave peacefully, do a "spiked" smoke out on a cooler eve to get the whole nest.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

6. Back To Top    #6

Wait until dark and then open the panel and then spray the nest with wasp spray. You won't short anything out. If you're concerned about it, just open (turn off) the breaker feeding the panel to kill the power to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post

I really hate wasps.
    LOL. love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to kill the power and spray them tonight. I'll pull the cover tomorrow and see what's inside.
    20k gal Gunite, diamond brite plaster, Jandy 340 cartridge filter, T-Cell 15 SWG, Jandy Stealth 1.5hp single speed pump, Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok so I'm a sick guy can we get a picture?

I've had wasps in my main panel previously.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

9. Back To Top    #9

You may want to stuff the openings with steel wool or close them off with duct tape to prevent anything else from taking up residence in there.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Would you video the assault? You will be fine, as it takes them time to react, but I think we would all enjoy the moment 😜

13000 gallon pool, SWG, DE Filter, 2 sheer descent waterfalls, built Jan 2014