Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFP Dropout and regretting it!

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Dropout and regretting it!

I had difficulty maintaining the TFP method when I resumed work after summer break and am regretting it as my pool is NASTY now!
    We had a major pollen drop and are in the middle of acorn drop right now. We also had a few major rains. I added two bags of shock, some Alkalinity Up b/c my alkaline was low and backwashed.

I have been using Triclor lately, but will go back to bleach when I have the time to do an OCLT.

Current chem levels are as follows:
    FC 11 Has been as high as 18 after adding the shock. Coming down slowly as shock was added Saturday and today is Wednesday.
    TC 11
    PH 7.5
    Alkaline 90

My pool is green. When I brush it green powder floats around the pool.

Any suggestions?
    Alex D.
    AG, 17500 gal, Plaster, Sand Filter,Pentair WhisperFlo Pump
    Polaris, Master Temp 400 Pool and Spa Heater
    Pentair Chlorine Automatic In-Line feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFP Dropout and regretting it!

You need to test your CYA. Without knowing that, there is no way to know how to proceed.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Dropout and regretting it!

Yes. Did you get yourself one of our recommended Test Kits ? If you don't have one get yourself one and follow the SLAM Process. Follow this to the T. Stop dumping stuff in your pool water.
    Until your test kit arrives I would add 2 jugs of bleach a day, one jug in the morning and one at night, to maybe hold things at bay until you can SLAM the pool the right way.
    When your test kit arrives post up a full set of test results and we can get ya started on the right foot. Hopefully your CYA isn't over the top. How long have you been using the pucks ? Plus the powered shock probably didn't do ya any favors in the CYA level also.
    We'll get this fixed up for ya but you need the test kit !! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the test kit and have been testing regularly. CYA is approx 60.
    Alex D.
    AG, 17500 gal, Plaster, Sand Filter,Pentair WhisperFlo Pump
    Polaris, Master Temp 400 Pool and Spa Heater
    Pentair Chlorine Automatic In-Line feeder

5. Back To Top    #5

Well then you need to review the SLAM process because your FC is not nearly high enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Adiharce View Post
    I have the test kit and have been testing regularly. CYA is approx 60.
    was that a recent test? The trichlor you have been using has been raising the CYA. The only way to fix this is to SLAM the pool. Head on over to WalMart and clear the shelf of bleach. Or, find the closest HASA dealer and pick up some of the potent 12.5% chlorinating liquid.

Once you clear it up don't let it slip again.......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

My FC was at 24 last night and again this morning. My cc are .5. My pool is running 24/7.
    Ph was 8.2 so I added MA. TA IS 100. Polaris is running 8 hrs a day vacuuming. We are brushing daily and trying to remove all the acorns. I've backwashed twice this week a d the second time waste water was clean looking. Do I keep slamming until water is clear?

8. Back To Top    #8

Usually you want to keep SLAMing until the water is clear.

Remember that the pH test is not valid when FC is greater than 10 ppm. Likely your pH was not really too high and now it may be too low.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!