Raising and lowering the TV - Comparing two wall mounts

Feb 2, 2012
I needed a TV mount for my game room that could raise and lower a large TV. As I started searching, I quickly realized that there are plenty of mounts that extend and/or pivot (left to right) and/or tilt but I was having trouble finding a mount for a large TV that could raise and lower. I looked at hundreds of mounts before narrowing my choices to 2 – DynamicMounting's Down and Out Mount and Ergotron's Mounting Arm for Flat Panel Displays. Even after applying their rebate, the Down and Out was more expensive and I ordered the Ergotron.

The Ergotron is an impressive mount and is very capable of handling the heaviest TVs. It was the more maneuverable of the two having a FULL range of movement – swing and swivel both up/down and right/left with tilting available from all positions. The only thing it does not do (and neither does the Down and Out) is rotate! I only had two problems with this mount. First, it is designed for very heavy televisions. It will have no problem handling the heaviest plasma TVs. However, I have a very light LED TV and was not able to reduce the mount’s tension adjustments enough to accommodate my television (ymmv). My TV was not heavy enought to allow the mount to stay in the lowered position. Second, when pushed as close to the wall as possible the mount is not centered with the TV . This was a deal breaker for me because, due to wall cabinet and ceiling light placements, I need the television to be close to the wall when elevated AND I do not have room to move left or right while lowering the TV. I was able to return the Ergotron but it cost me $100 in shipping and restocking fees.

The Down and Out Mount was designed for mounting a TV above a fireplace. In the raised position the TV is close to the wall. When lowering, the TV first pulls out and away from the wall before swinging down with enough room to clear a reasonably sized mantle/shelf. I ordered the non-pivoting model but they do have a mount that swivels left and right but costs more. For both models, tilting is only available when the mount is in the fully elevated position. The Down and Out mount is sturdy enough to handle large plasma TVs but it is adjustable enough to accommodate my lightweight 42” LED TV. Additionally, the Down and Out mount was easier to install because it weighed considerably less than the Ergotron.

During this experience, it occurred to me that an elevating mount could also be used to help protect patio-installed TVs. That's why I'm posting here and now have plans to install an outdoor television.

TonyP3-Thank you for posting! As you mentioned, an up/down mounting option would help for outdoor patio installs. This may indeed be helpful for others! Unfortunately, your thread is 1 week too late for me :brickwall: But, I'm satisfied with my $150 plasma and $90 mount; I'm guessing the Ergotron is a bit more?

TonyP3-Thank you for posting! As you mentioned, an up/down mounting option would help for outdoor patio installs. This may indeed be helpful for others! Unfortunately, your thread is 1 week too late for me :brickwall: But, I'm satisfied with my $150 plasma and $90 mount; I'm guessing the Ergotron is a bit more?

Yes, the Ergotron was more than $90 but still a lot less than the Down and Out. There were a lot of less expensive options but i really needed the up/down capability. I cannot wait to finish and start posting pics.

Yes, the Ergotron was more than $90 but still a lot less than the Down and Out. There were a lot of less expensive options but i really needed the up/down capability. I cannot wait to finish and start posting pics.
..but mine is still a new install and we're in the slow swim season. Maybe next season, after a few bumps to my head (from the low hanging 42), I'll have to upgrade! Post them pics up, I may upgrade sooner :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.