gone for the year

singingpond

Sep 15, 2013
Connecticut
With one of these ring top pools, 'closing' the pool looks pretty final. As of last weekend, the water has been dumped in the woods, and our pool has been cleaned, dried, folded up into a large unwieldy bundle, and put into an old plastic car-top carrier that we conveniently found out by the side of the road during the summer (one of those things shaped like a giant Burger King box). We'll put the carrier into a shed, or least up off the ground with a tarp over it -- hopefully that will keep the pool safe from water and critters until warm weather returns. All that's left now is a damp tarp on the ground in the backyard, with falling leaves already accumulating on it -- kind of a sad sight, and definitely marking the end of summer here.

Cleaning and putting away a pool like this is somewhat laborious and time-consuming, but, surprisingly, not really much worse for the 5500 gallon pool we had this year than it was last year for the smaller 1000 gallon size (in case anyone is thinking of going for a larger seasonal pool, but worried about additional work setting up and taking down).

Now I just have to put the test chemicals away into a cool dark spot (basement) for the winter, and bring in that last half-finished bottle of 12.5% pool 'shock' -- I guess I'll just dilute it to half strength, and move it to the laundry room. Kind of the opposite direction from bringing the laundry room bleach out to the pool, as is so often recommended on the forum.

Yes, it was a good summer. Not entirely 'trouble free', but at least we knew what we were doing when algae showed up. Kids loved the larger pool, and they were agitating occasionally for something even bigger -- I guess that's the typical slippery slope around here :).

I really meant that the pool is 'gone for the year'; pool owner might stick around here yet for a while... although I've found that my interest in pool issues usually wanes by the time we're shoveling snow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.