Pump questions

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Usually when I run into a problem, I just troll the board and find my answer. I wish I could contribute more but my knowledge is in cars and computers/networking.

Anyways. I've been fighting an algae problem all season long. (Mainly to my not caring because we haven't enjoyed the pool much this summer.) So two weeks ago my wife tells me while I'm at school that the pool is green. I go out to the pool to find the pool pump not moving. Smells not. I cut the circuit breaker. So I'm thinking I have to replaced the pump with skimmer. I don't want to mess with that. Contact the local pool shop (not L's) and they quote $550 for a motor and $125 labor. Well. I begin to think at 1 hr, that's not the whole unit, that's got to be just the motor. Look it up and I can find it way cheaper just by the motor.

So my question is, what are the chances of something being wrong with the impeller? It's a century 2.2 hp motor.

Sent from my iPhone
83c93517d6d51b55221ea39538440554.jpg

It is very likely that just the motor has gone bad and you could just replace it with a new shaft seal.

Why do you need such a big high HP pump? Nothing in your signature seems to warrant it.

If I were you, I would either replace the existing pump with a 2-speed equivalent so you can save money on electricity by running on low ... OR ... look at getting a smaller 1HP 2-speed motor with a smaller impeller as well which may actually be cheaper to buy AND cheaper to run.

Beats me. That's just what came with the house. Ha.

Question: what's the rate on return for a 2 speed swap or smaller pump? We plan on having this house 3 or 4 years. So if that's the rate on return, I'll just replace. If it's 2 years, I'm open to suggested motors.

The company I contacted did just an estimate for motor without looking at. He is questioning the impeller and diffuser. He won't tell me what he quoted, just what he could get and then happened to tell me my pump was a Challenger pump.

Sent from my iPhone

Depends on the comparing the costs of the motor options and your cost of power.

A 2-speed on low speed moves 1/2 the water for 1/4 the power cost. So even doubling the run time on low (not usually necessary) would be a 50% power savings.

Your absolute cheapest upfront cost would likely be a new 1HP single speed motor and impeller and seal kit. (A)
Next is likely the 1HP 2speed + impeller + seals (B)
Or very similar may be direct replacement of the 2HP single speed + seals (C)
Highest would be a 2-speed 2HP motor + seals (D)

For running costs, option B is the cheapest, then D, then A, and the most expensive would be C.

Of course all this assumes that the pump is in good shape, but generally they do not go bad.

JB is right. The calculators are overly optimistic because of their assumptions. If you compare a VS to a NEW two speed (1 HP Superflo), the VS saves only about $5/month over the two speed but it costs $300 more too. So it takes several years (> 60 months) for the VS to catch up to break even vs the two speed. If you just replace just the motor, it takes even longer for the VS to break even.

But for the OP, does the motor hum when you turn it on? Could be a bad capacitor although you would benefit greatly from a two speed motor. Downsizing the motor and impeller might not be a bad idea either if you don't have a spa or water feature.

Nope. Doesn't even hum. But I'm looking at replacing with a two speed 1 hp.

Two things are keeping me from pulling the trigger.

1. I'm a mechanic by trade so I got the electrical and mechanics buttt I know NOTHING about plumbing.

2. I have a dual standard timer. One for each pump. If I switch to a two speed, will I need a new timer?

Sent from my iPhone

If you are just replacing the motor, plumbing doesn't come into play. If you go with the two speed motor, you can still use the existing timer. You'll just have to wire in a switch to select between high and low speed. You'll leave it in low speed and let the timer do its thing. When you want to vacuum or backwash you switch to high speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A two speed would make up for the cost difference in no time at all with energy savings and then continue to save you money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.