Main Drain Blow Out Adapter

Jul 16, 2014
Westport, CT
Hi all. Need some help figuring out the best way to blow out my main drain. Have already blown out all lines with my leaf blower, but couldn't get the main drain to bubble. I've since read that an air compressor is best, and that about 4 scfm of air volume at ~7psi is necessary to effectively blow out the line.

My problem is set up, because my returns from the pool are via large 3" pipes, and I understand that most are 1.5". I've included some photos.

I had intended on purchasing some rubber Winter Blow Out Plugs with Schrader valves, but I can't seem to find any in the size required (thinking #14).

Is there another option for blowing out the line? I just need to find or retrofit an adapter that can connect to the usual air compressor 1/4" fitting.

Thanks!

You could get another union like the one that is disconnected, and use half of it to add a short section of pipe with a cap that had a Schrader valve installed. Get a metal valve because they are easier to install in a flat surface.

Thanks JohnT. I suppose i'm just surprised that there aren't more people with this issue who are requiring the same.

So would I just get a 3" pvc extension and the following?

AND

OR

I'm curious if the valve would seal if I simply drilled a hole and screwed it in. I suppose i'll need some pvc glue or teflon tape.

I'd add a few inches of pipe and a glue on cap to get a good flat surface. Get a steel Schrader valve at an auto parts place. It will have gaskets and a nut to tighten it down.

Thanks Jay! This looks right. There's it a good description there, so I can't tell what kind of connector is on the end of that test plug. Is it a 1/4" thread?

@JohnT, I've been trying the other approach at Home Depot and plumbing supply stores and no one has any compatible plumbing bits. Turns out, that union joint I have is very specific and there nothing none can think of that I can build to make a physical connection to the other half of that union because they're two halves to a whole, and have to be perfectly mated? Didn't quite understand the hardware store guy but he didn't think my search for a replacement valve and building my own other half glued with an extra piece of pic would work...

Turns out, there was an even simpler solution. The union was measured at 3" but once I took out the ball from the pvc valve, I looked inside and saw the standard 1.5" hole.

Purchased one of these guys at my local Leslies Pool, http://www.poolweb.com/Shop-On-Line/Winter-Plugs/WINTER-PLUGS-VALVE, hooked up my compressor and was done. I was surprised that I was able to blow bubbles out the main drain with my little 0.3HP 2 gallon dual tank compressor regulated to 7psi.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.