Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New owner seeking suggestions for electronic test kit

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    32

    New owner seeking suggestions for electronic test kit

    Hello, everyone!

    I've just closed on a house with a pool and no doubt will have a lot of questions once I move in. Initially, though, I'd like some input on an electronic testing kit versus the traditional kits. I would prefer being shown an exact figure instead of trying to gauge various shades of colors.

    I would think that would be beneficial as well when inputting data into one of the pool calculators or apps (I'd also welcome recommendations for a good smartphone app for keeping track of testing data).

    LaMotte seems to provide a wide range of options, but not sure which one would be best.

    Any comments/suggestions welcome.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: New owner seeking suggestions for electronic test kit

    Welcome to TFP!!!

    There are VERY few members here who would recommend a digital tester ... most of us do not trust them. They are expensive, require a lot of calibration, and then you still do not know if it is giving you valid readings.

    The Recommended Test Kits do not require any color matching (except for the pH test). If you can count drops, you can get accurate test results. There is just no need to have the artificial and questionable precision when you have no idea how accurate it is.

    There are many threads discussing phone apps, depending on your OS.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad JVTrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    5,079

    Re: New owner seeking suggestions for electronic test kit

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

    There are VERY few members here who would recommend a digital tester ... most of us do not trust them. They are expensive, require a lot of calibration, and then you still do not know if it is giving you valid readings.

    The Recommended Test Kits do not require any color matching (except for the pH test). If you can count drops, you can get accurate test results. There is just no need to have the artificial and questionable precision when you have no idea how accurate it is.

    There are many threads discussing phone apps, depending on your OS.


    Best Android app I've used is PoolPal.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    32

    Re: New owner seeking suggestions for electronic test kit

    OK, I've gone ahead and ordered the TF-100 kit.

    Is there anything I can/should do before it arrives?

    A little background on the pool:

    It is an older (1996) in-ground plaster pool that is around 10K gallons (don't have exact measurements yet). It seems in decent shape but is showing signs of age (could probably use a replastering). Once I get more details, I'll add them to my signature.

    The house was a foreclosure and the previous owner had let it go green last year. The city came in and cleaned it up and it was left empty for a few months over last Winter. It was refilled during the Spring and looks like they simply put chlorine tabs in a float to maintain it. (Possibly a pool service was used, but I don't know). The water is clean and clear and looks great to the naked eye.

    Should I just wait till the test kit comes before doing anything? Or should I get rid of the floating chlorine tabs and start adding bleach manually in anticipation?

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: New owner seeking suggestions for electronic test kit

    Quote Originally Posted by Sansfear View Post
    OK, I've gone ahead and ordered the TF-100 kit.
    Great choice, You saved me from finding all my comments about the LaMotte

    Quote Originally Posted by Sansfear View Post
    It is an older (1996) in-ground plaster pool that is around 10K gallons (don't have exact measurements yet). It seems in decent shape but is showing signs of age (could probably use a replastering).
    Give it time, don;t rush into anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sansfear View Post
    Or should I get rid of the floating chlorine tabs and start adding bleach manually in anticipation?
    Yes! The tabs are raising CYA and at this point you don't know if you can afford it.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •