Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good Pool Vacuum (for fine debris/dirt) ??

1. Back To Top    #1

Good Pool Vacuum (for fine debris/dirt) ??

I've been relying on our filter system, a Polaris pool sweep, & basic brushing to eliminate dirt in the pool ... all in all that alone doesn't work perfectly. So finally got a Skimmer Basket Vacuum Plate to get a hand-held vacuum system. Going down to Lowes to pick up 50' of 1.5" hose. Now to buy an actual vacuum - the piece that I push around the floor of the pool ..

Do any of you have 1 that you would highly recommend that doesn't cost a fortune? I just want something I can push around & it picks up all the residual dirt that my normal pool sweep isn't picking up.

Thanks
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Good Pool Vacuum (for fine debris/dirt) ??

nothing?
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

All vacuum heads are pretty much the same. For a fiberglass surface, you'll want one with nylon bristles. Some folks love the rectangle shape, some love the triangle shaped models. I haven't had much experience with different types but the key factor is likely durability. They'll all work the same, just a matter of which one will hold up longer.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your opinion ... (the fiberglass surface on our pool is not totally "smooth" like the ones that are factory made & dropped in. Our's was a sprayed-on Fiberglass ... so has little divots and tiny spots that dirt can accumulate.) I'll look for the Nylon brush type.

PS - I've seen some with Wheels .. in my mind the wheels prevent the vacuum from getting actually ON the floor ... true?
    Last edited by cody21; 10-01-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: update

5. Back To Top    #5

Wheels are usually for plaster surface pools.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Got it .. thanks again.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have only had a pool for two seasons (above ground) We live around trees and lots of heavy weekend mowing all around the pool by our neighbors and myself. I am surprised at the suction of the Pool Blaster Max (see photo) Cleans great. I just attach it to a pole and one charge lasts long enough to clean the pool. 20141002_132713[1].jpg
    AG intex pool 12x24x52" apprx 8500 gal. Intex sand filter, Hayward pump 1 HP, 60GPM with added SWG system, Water Tech Pool Blaster Max Vac. (Iron in faucet water)

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks... I wasn't looking for a "powered" version ... just something to push along with a pole & collect in the Filter system...