Pool leak

kichi

Sep 2, 2013
Pool Size
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have a 22K gallon inground gunite pool that is leaking. I am in the bay area, and the leak seems to have started since the recent earthquake we have a few weeks ago. I am trying to figure out the source of the leak. The pump is off and the leak did not stop at the skimmer. So I am thinking it could be one of 4 things:

1. I have 2 cracks in the pool shell, that could have widened due to the earthquake

2. The pipe connected to the main drain is leaking

3. There is a leak in the return line (I plugged one of the returns. Need to get another expansion plug for the other one)

4. Pool light niche

I suspect it is the crack in the pool that might have gotten wider. I will run a more through dye test today. If that's the cause, is there a simple way to patch that (e.g., A+B putty)? The pool guy is recommending I replaster and move to fiberglass (estimated at $8K cost). It is an old pool and may need replastering soon anyway, but not sure I want to make that investment to solve for a leak.

I'd continue with your investigation as best you can. If you go the route of replaster and fiberglass, I would do whatever you can to write into the purchase agreement that the leak issue will be resolved as part of the contractor completing the job and getting paid. Why are they recommending fiberglass in addition to the repairs?

Did a dye test yesterday and looks like it may not be the cracks. I saw the die getting sucked behind the pool light, as well as the main drain. I am planning to let the water drop and see where it stops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.