Help picking Energy Efficient Pump

Mar 31, 2014
South Carolina
Split by moderator from HERE. Please ask questions in your own thread and not in another member's old thread. Thanks, jblizzle

I have read this entire thread and it is A LOT of great information, however; I am confused on what to do. I have an inground pool, 17,000 gallons with 3 returns, Pentair Sand filter, I use a vacuum cleaner all of the time. The motor in my pump has gone out. It is a Jandy SHPM, 1.5 HP, single speed.

After reading all of this, should I replace just the motor or switch to a dual speed to save monthly electricity costs? I need to make the most economically sound decision. I need to save as much $$ as I can. Suggestions?

With a suction cleaner, you will not be able to get the full benefit of running on lower speeds as it may not be enough flow to move the cleaner. You could certainly add a timer to run at high speed for a few hours each day for the cleaner and then switch down to low speed for the electrical savings.

If there is nothing wrong with your pump, then just replacing the motor with a new 2-speed motor with a new shaft seal is likely the cheapest option.

With a suction cleaner, you will not be able to get the full benefit of running on lower speeds as it may not be enough flow to move the cleaner. You could certainly add a timer to run at high speed for a few hours each day for the cleaner and then switch down to low speed for the electrical savings.

If there is nothing wrong with your pump, then just replacing the motor with a new 2-speed motor with a new shaft seal is likely the cheapest option.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how long I should/can run the motor on low for my pool size and get optimal filtering? I was told by a pool company that I can run my current single speed pump for 12 hours and leave it off for 12 hours a day. I was also told that if I switch to a dual speed I shouldn't run it on the low speed long because the water will not circulate enough. Can you clarify that for me?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.