New pool owner with GREEN pool and new pump

Sep 30, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hi All,

I recently moved into a house with a roughly 16,500gal pool. The pump broke right before I moved in and for almost 3 weeks now it has been sitting and turned totally green.

I just installed a Hayward Northstar 1HP pump, the filter is designed for 100sqft (I believe and will double check when I get home.

Pool has a small 4 jet Jacuzzi, and I think 3 or 4 return jets into main pool. I know there is at least 3 but can't see any others bc the pool is so green.

So far I have just dumped 3 gal or chlorine and a small pack shock granules into the pool along with 13 ounces of algaecide. I plan to get water tested today.

I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of air bubbles intermittently in the return lines, while the pump is on. I shut the valve to the Jacuzzi portion and the bubbles start along with water level dropping in pump skimmer basket to around 3/4's full. When I open the Jacuzzi drain line the bubbles stop but the Jacuzzi also starts draining as well.

I'm lost and just looking for any general direction to look for bubble solution as well as a fast track to getting the pool blue again.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Forget the algaecide ... too late for that as it help prevent algae from starting. Although there is never a need for it if you maintain adequate FC levels.

You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up the pool and that requires the investment of one of the Recommended Test Kits so you know what the pool actually needs.

I have to say that your filter sounds WAY too small for your pool and pump.

I also recommend you read some of Pool School so you understand the chemistry. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

wow that was a quick response. I am already really liking the forum based on that alone. Ok so done with algaecide, I will check the filter size on the way home but I was more scared that the pump was too small for my pool.
I will read up on the links you provided as well as edit my signature.

Any input on how long the pump should be running these days to get the pool back to blue??

I had the water tested yesterday. Over night I got the pool from neon green to a cloudy blue/green. I put around 6 gal of chlorine (2 big jugs), 1/4 bottle acid and some shock along with cleaning the filter every 3-5 hours since the pressure would double on the filter gauge.

Also my filter is a 200 s.f. and 150gph which seems to be fine for this pool.

I have 4 intake pipes coming to the pump with 3 j-valves. I know the closest valve to the pump is for the jacuzzi drain. The other 3 pipes I'm assuming are pool skimmer, pool drain on bottom, and vacuum hook-up. I have yet to experiment with these......
So my last question is when all 3 valves are fully open the pump basket area fills completely to the top, however when I shut the jacuzzi drain off and have the other 2 valves open, the pump basket is only 3/4's full..Do you know what can cause this because it is sending air bubbles back in the return to the pool??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.