MA in small containers available?

Sep 22, 2014
San Ramon, CA. 94582
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I'm a new member. Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong forum subject and will move it if so. Still learning the insNouts.
I've been using Leslie's chemicals since my pool was built in 10/2012 and found that my CYA is creeping up there. The pool was started by a pool service company hired by the pool builder and initially placed 70ppm CYA. In addition, the pool has automatic chlorine dispenser using trichlor pucks until a couple of weeks ago when I removed the pucks and switched to BBB method. So far it is looking and working pretty good. Question is - is Muriatic Acid available in small containers since local hardware stores and pool stores only have them available in 2-1gal jugs? I do not want to store MA acid in my shed again since the last 2-1gal pack of MA caused some of my tools and cabinet hinges to rust in the shed and eventually gave them away to the neighbor's pool guy.
-Thanks

To answer your question, I saw muriatic in quarts at ace hardware for about $6.00. However, I chose to buy the 1 gal container for $8.00.

Acid doesn't affect wood or plastic. Try to find a place where that will work but keeping it away from metals.

Your cya is very high thanks to Leslies! No telling what it is now after using pucks all that time. You should probably replace some of your water (if you can) to get it down to 50.

It rained some here in the Bay Area last week so I left the pool cover open and turned on my re-fill line for about 30 mins. This was a test to see if CYA could come down a little bit - it went from 95ppm down to 75ppm. I will wait until this winter (hoping for rain as we are in a major drought) to drain out and replace some of the pool water.

- - - Updated - - -

To answer your question, I saw muriatic in quarts at ace hardware for about $6.00. However, I chose to buy the 1 gal container for $8.00.

Acid doesn't affect wood or plastic. Try to find a place where that will work but keeping it away from metals.

Thanks for the lead, Dave. I'll call my local ace hardware to find out. I'll also look for a plastic pool box to store the acid and bleach outside and behind my shed.

It rained some here in the Bay Area last week so I left the pool cover open and turned on my re-fill line for about 30 mins. This was a test to see if CYA could come down a little bit - it went from 95ppm down to 75ppm. I will wait until this winter (hoping for rain as we are in a major drought) to drain out and replace some of the pool water.
Neither rain or refilling the pool will reduce CYA. CYA is only removed when you pump water out of the pool. When water evaporates the CYA stays behind in the pool. I would assume any changes were due to lighting or testing procedures.

Neither rain or refilling the pool will reduce CYA. CYA is only removed when you pump water out of the pool. When water evaporates the CYA stays behind in the pool. I would assume any changes were due to lighting or testing procedures.

I will have to re-test when I get my TFT-100 testkit on Friday and will let you guys know what I come up with.
(I was out of R-0013 reagent so I went to a reputable pool supply/service place to measure the after rain/re-fill).
I still plan on pumping water out of the pool this winter and also hoping CA drought would come to an end.
Thanks.

I was out of R-0013 reagent so I went to a reputable pool supply/service place to measure the after rain/re-fill.
I still plan on pumping water out of the pool this winter and also hoping CA drought would come to an end.
While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. The test that it appears from peoples reports that they mess up the most is CYA:confused:

Give it time, you can get it in order. It took me months to get my CYA down from 200+ (pool store said it was 80) to 70.

Sometimes it seems folks are throwing a lot at you at once around here, but just remember it is all in an attempt to help you take control of your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. The test that it appears from peoples reports that they mess up the most is CYA:confused:

Give it time, you can get it in order. It took me months to get my CYA down from 200+ (pool store said it was 80) to 70.

Sometimes it seems folks are throwing a lot at you at once around here, but just remember it is all in an attempt to help you take control of your pool.

Totally get your drift, Tim. Thanks for confidence booster. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Tim, I'm assuming it was the same store that was telling me mine was 45 when it was actually over 350. It took me a week and 40, 000 gals of water to get it right.

At the present situation in California, I can get fined plenty $$$'s if the water cops see my property with overflow from landscaping. So I better hold off on draining the pool until it rains here. :(

Hi all, Got my TFT-100 yesterday. Found the shipping package not sealed (box was open) and no peanut/bubblewrap materials to hold the kit stable inside - perhaps they were jostled out when the packaging box unintentionally opened during shipping. Also found some condensation inside the kit after opening it. Got this kit from Poolsupplyworld.com (because of free shipping) and they would not allow an exchange/return. Will not buy from there again and wished I bought it straight from Dave.

Anyways, I measured my pool's CYA to be around 85ppm - 90ppm (did it ~3 times). So there is no escaping draining the pool come winter (of course if and when it rains). My FC is showing to be 4ppm and CC was 0 so I have to up the FC to ~6ppm according to Chlorine/CYA chart.

Thanks guys.

Hi all, Got my TFT-100 yesterday. Found the shipping package not sealed (box was open) and no peanut/bubblewrap materials to hold the kit stable inside - perhaps they were jostled out when the packaging box unintentionally opened during shipping. Also found some condensation inside the kit after opening it. Got this kit from Poolsupplyworld.com (because of free shipping) and they would not allow an exchange/return. Will not buy from there again and wished I bought it straight from Dave.

Anyways, I measured my pool's CYA to be around 85ppm - 90ppm (did it ~3 times). So there is no escaping draining the pool come winter (of course if and when it rains). My FC is showing to be 4ppm and CC was 0 so I have to up the FC to ~6ppm according to Chlorine/CYA chart.

Thanks guys.
Hey, Blake here from PoolSupplyWorld. So sorry to hear about your frustrations! We get our kits directly from Dave and they are pre-packed, so I am not sure why one might have been opened somewhere along the line (albeit possible). Anyways, I am happy to help you get your order sorted out. I won't stop working until you are completely satisfied. You can reach me directly at 602-734-2317 (desk) or 213-999-4951 (cell).

I will look into your order right now and give you a call.

Hey, Blake here from PoolSupplyWorld. So sorry to hear about your frustrations! We get our kits directly from Dave and they are pre-packed, so I am not sure why one might have been opened somewhere along the line (albeit possible). Anyways, I am happy to help you get your order sorted out. I won't stop working until you are completely satisfied. You can reach me directly at 602-734-2317 (desk) or 213-999-4951 (cell).

I will look into your order right now and give you a call.

Hi Blake,

Thanks for your reply and efforts to rectify the Testkit packaging issue. I sent you an email with two pictures of the shipping box showing it was not sealed and no evidence of any tape around the lid. The lid must have opened during shipping that might have caused the peanut/packing materials to spill including the receipt and got lost.

Thanks again for offering to send me a new testkit. I take back my words about not using Poolsupplyworld (from above).

While we seldom publish "customer service" issues on the forum, we have known PSW to be about as good as they come for taking care of their customers. I am so pleased that blakej and Isabelo are getting their (and mine) issues resolved.

PSW has just done a superb job with virtually all our TFP customers and I didn't want this to end on a sour note......I'm pleased Blake jumped in and solved this.

While we seldom publish "customer service" issues on the forum, we have known PSW to be about as good as they come for taking care of their customers. I am so pleased that blakej and Isabelo are getting their (and mine) issues resolved.

PSW has just done a superb job with virtually all our TFP customers and I didn't want this to end on a sour note......I'm pleased Blake jumped in and solved this.
Thanks for the kind words, Dave! I am always eager to help in any way possible :)

Hi Blake,

Thanks for your reply and efforts to rectify the Testkit packaging issue. I sent you an email with two pictures of the shipping box showing it was not sealed and no evidence of any tape around the lid. The lid must have opened during shipping that might have caused the peanut/packing materials to spill including the receipt and got lost.

Thanks again for offering to send me a new testkit. I take back my words about not using Poolsupplyworld (from above).

Hi Blake (and Dave),

Thanks again for the new test kit. I am getting very consistent readings with the kit, it is the best one that I've used (previously Taylor K-2005). I love to be able to exactly account for FC/CC levels; the sizes of the reagents are proportioned nicely for homeowners; and the laminated instruction is a plus for sure. The pool is now on the 3rd week of using BBB and I'd like to echo what one member said - "... this Forum is worth the weight in Bleach..." . I found a HASA pool center close to my city so I am now using 12.5% Liquid Chlorine which is probably more convenient than hauling 8.25% bleach jugs. My pool chemistry is FC=8 (CC=0), PH=7.4, CH=300, TA=120, CYA=95-100 - and hoping that N. California would get rain this winter to end the drought, so I can drain the pool to resolve my high CYA level. But for now, I am following the Chlorine/CYA chart.

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.