Advice on motor replacement....home warranty involved

Apr 24, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
We had a storm on Saturday and my motor gave out on me. It's a Hayward Super II and I tried replacing the capacitor. I had it tested and it was fried, but no change. It would turn on, sound way louder than it ever has and then shut itself off after about 15 seconds. Same result either way.

I have a home warranty and my pool is covered. I'm sure they'll find a way to screw me somehow by giving me a crummy replacement or something to that affect, and I don't trust these pool folks at all.

So....if the pump is shot and they're going to replace it (as opposed to fixing the existing motor), I'll likely have the option to upgrade by paying the difference. I would like a two-speed motor. That said, I'm leery of these folks trying to sell me something I don't need or doesn't mesh well with my existing system. If I stick with what I have, I can probably get out for the cost of a $60 service call.

What would you do?

My setup:
20K in-ground pool with pop-up cleaners/returns, spa on same pump
Hayward Super II pump (2 hp, 1.25 SF, 230V, 1.55KW, model K48N2N104)
No auto-vac pool cleaner, but may someday get one (I brush and vacuum old school for now)
60 series Hayward DE filter
AquaLogic control unit
T-15 SWG

I have a water feature but it runs on a separate pump.

Any advice would be appreciated. Prepping as the pool company is coming tomorrow. Happy to provide more info as needed.

I would get a 2-speed pump, but keep in mind the popup cleaners and spa probably will need more flow than what you will get on low.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a pool noob and this is one of my concerns. The spa I'm not worried about; I wouldn't mind having to kick it to high manually to use it. I am a bit concerned about the pop-up cleaners. They run in six separate groups (I believe it is six), and there are 21 in the pool and six in the spa. If the won't work properly on a lower speed I'm probably wasting my time. I don't have any dedicated returns, my pop-up cleaners are the only way water gets returned to the pool.

One of the mods has a 2 speed with an in floor system. He says he runs on low most of the time and while the pops do not fully open and move the dirt around, you still get circulation. You may want to add a timer to run on high for a few hours for the in-floor system and then on low the rest of the required time.

This is certainly one of the downsides to those in-floor systems and many that use suction cleaners ... that you have to run on high for them to function properly.

Usually the home warranty companies have a set amount they will pay for a specific part. The pool company coming out can sell you anything you want, but you will pay the difference. The problem is that the pool company will probably have a higher price for a pump than you could find buying direct.

Thanks for all of the replies. tim5055, you're correct. (I'll rant about home warranty companies in a different thread) sargent and jbizzle have addressed my concerns and I'm still on the fence about what to do. The pool guy was out just a bit ago and the motor is fried.

My options are:
- Have the home warranty replace what I have with a remanufactured motor of similar specs for $60 (the cost of the service call...essentially the deductible).
- Take the cash replacement value, which will probably be $190 ($250 minus the service call)

If I take the cash, I can get whatever I want. That also means I either have to pay to get it installed or do it myself. If I accept the replacement I don't have to do anything.

This decision shouldn't be this hard but I'm really struggling with it. I would normally welcome a project such as this because I think jobs like this are fun, but I bought this house six months ago and it's been a nightmare. I've been fixing things non-stop and shelling out piles of cash...I'm tired of it. That makes me lean towards replacement because I don't have to do the work.

That said, I am energy and checkbook conscious and the appeal of a two-speed is strong. My concerns there are will it even work? I fear on low speed the pop-ups may not even engage (this may be an unfounded fear) and then I'd have a more expensive motor that can only do what the original could. One other factor is I would LOVE to have a quiet motor. My control board is already setup to handle multiple timers so I wouldn't have to invest in anything other than an additional wire.

Can someone please sway me? :confused:

Thanks for all of the replies. tim5055, you're correct. (I'll rant about home warranty companies in a different thread) sargent and jbizzle have addressed my concerns and I'm still on the fence about what to do. The pool guy was out just a bit ago and the motor is fried.

My options are:
- Have the home warranty replace what I have with a remanufactured motor of similar specs for $60 (the cost of the service call...essentially the deductible).
- Take the cash replacement value, which will probably be $190 ($250 minus the service call)

If I take the cash, I can get whatever I want. That also means I either have to pay to get it installed or do it myself. If I accept the replacement I don't have to do anything.

This decision shouldn't be this hard but I'm really struggling with it. I would normally welcome a project such as this because I think jobs like this are fun, but I bought this house six months ago and it's been a nightmare. I've been fixing things non-stop and shelling out piles of cash...I'm tired of it. That makes me lean towards replacement because I don't have to do the work.

That said, I am energy and checkbook conscious and the appeal of a two-speed is strong. My concerns there are will it even work? I fear on low speed the pop-ups may not even engage (this may be an unfounded fear) and then I'd have a more expensive motor that can only do what the original could. One other factor is I would LOVE to have a quiet motor. My control board is already setup to handle multiple timers so I wouldn't have to invest in anything other than an additional wire.

Can someone please sway me? :confused:
Look at it this way a week ago would you have said I think I'm going to switch to a two speed motor? Take the replacement and worry about a two speed later when you can do the proper research and you have the time for the project.

- - - Updated - - -

If the lightning caused the motor failure, it might be covered by your homeowners insurance. I'd ask your agent.
Mike
I doubt if it would even top most small deductibles. It is not uncommon for insurers to drop policies for too many claims. Check out Clark Howard's thoughts on homeowners insurance.

Look at it this way a week ago would you have said I think I'm going to switch to a two speed motor? Take the replacement and worry about a two speed later when you can do the proper research and you have the time for the project.

A very level headed and reasonable response, and that was already the way I was leaning. I think my mind is made up. Thank you for the shove...it is appreciated more than you know.

Now I'll get back to repairing the spa in the master bath, the leaky window and the busted yard lights. Or maybe I'll just jump out of a plane with no parachute.

- - - Updated - - -

If the lightning caused the motor failure, it might be covered by your homeowners insurance. I'd ask your agent.
Mike

I won't call my agent for anything unless it's really serious. I've been a homeowner for 15 years and made one claim, and that was on the advice of one of my golfing buddies who works for an insurance company and assured me my claim would be approved without question (and it was) and would also not impact my individual policy. The only special exemption I carry is for my golf clubs. I'd rather someone stole my car.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A very level headed and reasonable response, and that was already the way I was leaning. I think my mind is made up. Thank you for the shove...it is appreciated more than you know.

Now I'll get back to repairing the spa in the master bath, the leaky window and the busted yard lights. Or maybe I'll just jump out of a plane with no parachute.
Nah, it will all be good. I'm on month 10 of a "new" 10 year old house. The projects are now starting to slow down so I can enjoy it.

Don't beat yourself up too much take time to enjoy life. Pack a lunch, put every one in the car and take a ride up to Slide Rock State Park. Splash in the water, eat lunch and relax for a day. The projects will still be there when you get back. Ten years form now you will remember the good day of fun, the projects not so much.....

I won't call my agent for anything unless it's really serious. I've been a homeowner for 15 years and made one claim, and that was on the advice of one of my golfing buddies who works for an insurance company and assured me my claim would be approved without question (and it was) and would also not impact my individual policy.

I wasn't suggesting that you file a claim - just that you enquire if it was covered (a replacement pump not just the motor), how much would be covered and the consequences to your premium. It sounds like you have a better source for insurance info than your agent, and you get to golf at the same time.
Mike

Is it not possible to replace just the motor with a two speed one? Keeping the wet end. No plumbing required.

I wasn't suggesting that you file a claim - just that you enquire if it was covered (a replacement pump not just the motor), how much would be covered and the consequences to your premium. It sounds like you have a better source for insurance info than your agent, and you get to golf at the same time.
Mike

I do have a better source, which is fortunate on my part (the golf thing doesn't hurt either). If you do some digging, you'll find that even an inquiry can (possibly) hurt you even if you don't end up filing a claim. This varies from state to state, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. IMO, insurance is typically cheap enough that you can bump up your coverage and never use it, being out only a couple $K over the long run...but if I need it, I'll be glad I have it. That's why I keep the agent off the speed dial. I'll get quotes on anything and everything prior to calling my agent for anything. My only claim was for a roof after a hailstorm, and I wasn't even sure that particular storm was what damaged it. But I had coverage that didn't matter the cause, only that it was damaged. Had I filed a claim or not, my rates were likely to go up simply because of the wide spread storm. I chose to use it when I could and I knew I would be covered.

Shorter version - I understand what you're recommending. It's it just unlikely it would have paid off, short or long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it not possible to replace just the motor with a two speed one? Keeping the wet end. No plumbing required.

Yes, it is. I only need the motor. If there weren't 15 other things wrong with the house I would replace it with a two speed. Circumstances are dictating my sanity at this point, making tim5055's advice even more useful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.